access machine and rejoin it to the domain

G

I had a domain user working off site try and join his laptop running win2k to another domain. Halfway through he cancelled and now he cannot access his laptop at all. when it boots there isn't a field available for a domain. This laptop was setup before I arrived, and I took over the former admin's user account, but he changed the password, so i don't know what admin password was used to setup the machine in the first place. I need to be able to get into the machine and secondly rejoin it to the domain if possible

G

No, those links didn't end up being much help to me. so I can't log onto the machoine because I don't have the password for the admin or any other local user, and it's no longer a member of my domain. I can't joint it to a domain without being able to logged into it, can I? If I can't log in than there is not much else to do but copy the data off of it an reinstall and rebuild the machine. Unless somebody has a suggestion?

T

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Mike said:
No, those links didn't end up being much help to me. so I can't log onto the machoine because I don't have the password for the admin or any other local user, and it's no longer a member of my domain. I can't joint it to a domain without being able to logged into it, can I? If I can't log in than there is not much else to do but copy the data off of it an reinstall and rebuild the machine. Unless somebody has a suggestion?
Hi

The second link Lanwench posted takes you here if you had clicked on
"Q: I forgot or don't know the Windows password and I can't log in.
[Windows 2000 / XP / .NET / NT]":

http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#password

In that link it is listed several free solutions that can be used
to reset the local Administrator password (e.g. NTPASSWD boot
floppy or CD-ROM)

Ask a Question