Access Access Locked out on my DB. "You do not have the necessary permissions to use the <na

Reaction score
Please help me.
I have been developing a database for some months in Access 2003. I have put security in place (using the wizard), with the new file Security.mdw (sitting in the DB folder) working well.

I've used it for several sessions (using the shortcut with wrkgrp \), loggin in as user "Dan" who I've set as part of all groups (user, admin, DBOwner etc).

To get around security flaw with Access, I removed permissions from the default "admin" so sourcing the system's Security.mdw file is not going to work.

Issue: I was setting permissions etc and changed the 'Owner' on all things to "DBOwner" group. DBOwner group has full permissions across everything. User 'Dan' is a member of DBOwner group + the other groups.

I ran a compact & repair, and upon re-openning I received the error -
"You do not have the necessary permissions to use the <name> object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you. "

After trying & reading forums with no success, I decided to ditch my 3hrs of work since backing up and open my backup (note - this was at the start of the session, and still required my Security.mwd via shortcut etc). However SAME MESSAGE APPEARS!

I have no idea what to do next, and the suggestions havent worked.

Please help, regards Dan

Reaction score
when you open the database go to file open click on the down arrow on the open button and choose open exclusive. It should either override the security measure you put on or ask for the password if you assigned one.

I hope this helps. Mine did the same type of thing but the message was a bit different

Ask a Question