Access Access - Is it possible to repeat fields in a form?

Reaction score
Greetings!
I'm in a new job and am in the process of creating a database of our clients. I'm trying to create a form, but I need to find a way to repeat fields. For example, we often refer our clients to other agencies, depending on their needs. So, I created a table with a list of the Types of companies, e.g., Web Design, Print Shop, Real Estate, Accountant, Attorney, etc., because this list may grow and I thought it would be the best way to approach it. I will most likely be creating a list of the actual companies as well, but right now, that is a text field.
My boss pointed out that she needs to see each particular referral. I can make it work one time, but I need to be able to repeat this row of fields at least 10-12 times or maybe more. I used a list box to select from the Referral Types table. How can I make this work? Do I need to change my main table to have fields such as Referral A, Referral B, etc. or is there a better way to approach this?
Page 2 of my form needs to appear like so:
Type of Referral - Name of Referral - Date Referred
[Referral Types Table] - Text Field - Date Field

Thank you!!!
Susan

Reaction score
Hi Susan,

You should create a second table that links to the first, and create a subform that displays as many records as needed.

So, let's just say you have a table named Clients that contains ClientID, etc. This is the one you are using now. Then you'll need to create a second table, something like ClientReferrals. This table would have ClientID, Type of Referral, Name of Referral, Date Referred. You could have multiple rows per ClientID.

It isn't super straightforward, but not super difficult either...but now create a form that has the new table (Client Referrals) as its source. But don't show ClientID (or whatever the unique client field is), just the rest of the fields.

Then what you do is you add a subform (usually to the bottom) of your main form to show the referrals, and you like the subform to the form by ClientID. Then as you change clients, the subform should show only referrals for the selected client. I believe that most of this can be handled by the wizard - if not, shout back and I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

Have fun!

Ask a Question