Access Graphs - It converts my string into a number!

Reaction score
When I make a graph, and I want to group by a field that is a string type. For example: I have a table that lists a bunch of people's names, marks, and the course that they are taking. I want to make a graph that shows the average mark for each course (we don't care about their names).

So I make a query where I group by the course, and have an AVG() function in the select statement. It's all good and works out when I display it in a data-sheet format.

The only problem comes when I take this query and want to make it into a graph.

I have tried doing this using both the default chart wizard AND the insert unbound object frame method (w/ the Microsoft Graph Object). I have also tried this in Reports AND in Forms.

Problem: It groups my data alright, but it doesn't list the course name (like it did in the datasheet) on the graph. Instead it just gives me numbers (1, 2, 3) instead of (CourseName1, CourseName2, CourseName3).

Is there a way to prevent Access from converting my strings to numbers?

Thanks.

P.S.: I am using MS Access 2003, SP3

EDIT: This works fine when grouping by the date format.

Last edited:

Ask a Question