Access flatfile

Dirk Goldgar

Howard Huntley said:
Is access a flat file application?

Not in any sense I've ever heard the term "flat file" used. It's a
relational database application.

Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Dirk Goldgar said:
news:[email protected]...

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

You can certainly use MS Access to work with a flat file. Many of my clients have elaborate and under performing spreadsheets aka flat files...I converted them into MS Access....and their spreadsheets too!

Connell Giacomini

Access is a relational database, meaning that data is stored in various
'tables' which can relate to one another. For example a table that stores
customer information can relate to a table that stores order information by
using a field in one table as an identifier for the other table; for example
'customer id' in the customers table can relate to a field called 'customer
id' in the orders table. In this fashion you only need to store customer
information in one place (the customers table) instead of having to enter
customer name, address, etc. for each order.

It is possible that the design of your database requires only a single
table. In that case you would be using Access as a flat file application.