Access denied

webster72n

Gene said:
You said in a reply below,
"Sorry you feel the way you do".

OK, *assuming* that you're not a troll, I have some serious - and
constructive - advice based on this thread.

This venue is a totally unsatisfactory way to help you.

You need to find someone knowledgeable in Windows who can sit with you
while you mess with your problems. You'd be up and running an less that
10 minutes, in my estimation.

First, this person - call him or her Mentor - could see what you are
doing, and most importantly, what you are forgetting to say and what you
mean by what you do say. Also, by seeing how you carry out instructions,
Mentor would instantly know what you misunderstood or misinterpreted.

Secondly, the feedback from Mentor would be instantaneous, instead of
delayed by a couple of days.

Thirdly, Mentor could teach you how to describe what you are
experiencing, and show you directly how to do the things that I have
described unsuccessfully - and Mentor would see immediately when what
you do is not what was described to you.

You actually helped more than you think you did, Gene.
After employing a so-called 'Expert' and paying him $40.00 for 2&1/2
hours of work, which did more damage than good, I found out that I knew
more than he did, a lot more. That makes me an expert, elevating me from
my previously assumed position as 'Advanced'.
You falsely accused me of not following your instructions, when you
totally ignored my 'indicators'. But that's all 'water down the drain',
as they say.
You can look up my latest reply to the next post, to find the status of
my current situation.
Thanks again for your and everyone's contribution.

Harry.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

After employing a so-called 'Expert' and paying him $40.00 for 2&1/2
hours of work, which did more damage than good,

If he only charged $40.00 for 2.5 hrs work, he was no expert. Going
rate for competent computer work is better than $40 PER HOUR (much
better than that around here in fact). As with many things, you get
what you pay for when it comes to computer techs.

Gene E. Bloch

You actually helped more than you think you did, Gene.

It couldn't have been less :)
After employing a so-called 'Expert' and paying him $40.00 for 2&1/2
hours of work, which did more damage than good, I found out that I knew
more than he did, a lot more.

See what Zaphod said. $16/hr is nowhere near enough for an expert. I've
even charged $50/hr, and I'm not an expert. That said, my client was
happy with the results.
That makes me an expert, elevating me from my previously assumed
position as 'Advanced'.

I hope you're kidding. If not, your opinion of your skills is very
different from mine.
You falsely accused me of not following your instructions, when you
totally ignored my 'indicators'. But that's all 'water down the drain',
as they say.

Everything you said indicated that you never followed my instructions.
Nothing you said indicated that you ever followed my instructions.

If there's a false accusation, it's yours above, falsely accusing me of
falsely accusing you of not following my instructions.

Thanks for the opportunity to write that last sentence - I had fun doing
it:)
You can look up my latest reply to the next post, to find the status of
my current situation.

Try posting a message ID. I can't find any other new post by you, and
your description above is much too vague to help.
Thanks again for your and everyone's contribution.

Harry.

We really *did* try to help. I'm sorry we didn't match your hopes.

webster72n

Zaphod said:
If he only charged $40.00 for 2.5 hrs work, he was no expert. Going
rate for competent computer work is better than $40 PER HOUR (much
better than that around here in fact). As with many things, you get
what you pay for when it comes to computer techs.

This guy has been doing it for over 35 years, according to him.
He supposedly was an engineer working for NASA and shook hands with
Neill Armstrong.
His hourly charge is $40, plus $20 to come to the house, but he agreed
in advance to only charge me the $40.
Whatever the case may be, I am safe right where I am.

Harry.

webster72n

Gene said:
It couldn't have been less :)

See what Zaphod said. $16/hr is nowhere near enough for an expert. I've
even charged $50/hr, and I'm not an expert. That said, my client was
happy with the results.

I hope you're kidding. If not, your opinion of your skills is very
different from mine.

Everything you said indicated that you never followed my instructions.
Nothing you said indicated that you ever followed my instructions.

If there's a false accusation, it's yours above, falsely accusing me of
falsely accusing you of not following my instructions.

Thanks for the opportunity to write that last sentence - I had fun doing
it:)

Try posting a message ID.

"Internet Explorer has stopped working correctly", the last reply and
w.o. the quot. marks.

******

Zaphod Beeblebrox

If he only charged $40.00 for 2.5 hrs work, he was no expert. Going
rate for competent computer work is better than $40 PER HOUR (much
better than that around here in fact). As with many things, you get
what you pay for when it comes to computer techs.

This guy has been doing it for over 35 years, according to him.
He supposedly was an engineer working for NASA and shook hands with
Neill Armstrong.[/QUOTE]

All of which is meaningless - unless you think that shaking hands with
a celebrity imparts some magical technological abilities, or working
for a huge governmental agency in one discipline implies expertise in
another discipline, or that decades old knowledge applies to current
technology.

The fact that the supposed (and patently incapable) "expert" botched
the job is evidence enough that my observation was valid, no?

--
Zaphod

"So [Trillian], two heads is what does it for a girl?"
"...Anything else [Zaphod]'s got two of?"
- Arthur Dent

Gene E. Bloch

"Internet Explorer has stopped working correctly", the last reply and
w.o. the quot. marks.

I said "Try posting a message ID" above, and I meant it.

I don't plan to search around, sorry.

webster72n

Zaphod said:
This guy has been doing it for over 35 years, according to him.
He supposedly was an engineer working for NASA and shook hands with
Neill Armstrong.

All of which is meaningless - unless you think that shaking hands with
a celebrity imparts some magical technological abilities, or working
for a huge governmental agency in one discipline implies expertise in
another discipline, or that decades old knowledge applies to current
technology.

The fact that the supposed (and patently incapable) "expert" botched
the job is evidence enough that my observation was valid, no?
[/QUOTE]

Your observation is concurrent with mine, after the effect.
How in the world does one obtain trustworthy assistance, when testimony
cannot be believed? I am familiar with the saying:
"Believe only half of what you are seeing and nothing of what you hear".
Consequently I trust in my own capabilities w.o. over estimation.
Now I ask myself: what does that have to do with solving my problem?
Go figure!

webster72n

Gene said:
I said "Try posting a message ID" above, and I meant it.

I don't plan to search around, sorry.

And I don't plan to continue this nonsense, sorry!

Zaphod Beeblebrox

All of which is meaningless - unless you think that shaking hands with
a celebrity imparts some magical technological abilities, or working
for a huge governmental agency in one discipline implies expertise in
another discipline, or that decades old knowledge applies to current
technology.

The fact that the supposed (and patently incapable) "expert" botched
the job is evidence enough that my observation was valid, no?

Your observation is concurrent with mine, after the effect.
How in the world does one obtain trustworthy assistance, when testimony
cannot be believed?[/QUOTE]

First, carefully evaluate the testimony and only consider that which
has bearing on the issue at hand - clearly, in this case you failed
that (simple) life skill.
I am familiar with the saying:
"Believe only half of what you are seeing and nothing of what you hear".
Consequently I trust in my own capabilities w.o. over estimation.

As evidenced by your other posts in this thread, that is not the case.
Now I ask myself: what does that have to do with solving my problem?
Go figure!

Oh, it doesn't, except for pointing out where your attempt to solve
your problem failed and how to alter the approach for future problems,
perhaps.

Ta for now.

Gene E. Bloch

First, carefully evaluate the testimony and only consider that which
has bearing on the issue at hand - clearly, in this case you failed
that (simple) life skill.

As evidenced by your other posts in this thread, that is not the case.

Oh, it doesn't, except for pointing out where your attempt to solve
your problem failed and how to alter the approach for future problems,
perhaps.

Ta for now.

I appreciate your responses. I wonder if webster72n also does...

Ta.

webster72n

Gene said:
Try opening your text editor in Administrator mode (by right clicking on
its icon or on the executable) and opening the log file in the editor's
open-file dialog.

Just for the record, doing this produces the following message:

Cannot find "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log".

Apparently my problem exceeds the scope of this news group,
since it is system related and can only be resolved by
starting from scratch and "Re-" or "Clean-Install".
I have consoled myself to that fact.
Meanwhile I am fine the way it is, until I make my decision.

Harry.

Gene E. Bloch

Just for the record, doing this produces the following message:

Cannot find "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log".

Apparently my problem exceeds the scope of this news group,
since it is system related and can only be resolved by
starting from scratch and "Re-" or "Clean-Install".
I have consoled myself to that fact.
Meanwhile I am fine the way it is, until I make my decision.

Harry.

Somewhere in this thread is an explanation of how to solve that
"problem".

How do I know that? I posted that explanation.

Here's the message ID of that post:

From other remarks you made or things you did, I have to believe that
you, the self-styled advanced or expert user, have no idea what a
message ID is, but it *can* get you unambiguously to the post in
question :)

webster72n

Gene said:
You are missing my instructions, apparently.

For one thing, I didn't mention any location, desired or otherwise.

Let's try again:

Find the shortcut to your text editor or find the executable file of
your text editor. That can be as easy as typing your text editor's name
in the Start menu's search bar. A shortcut to it will appear in the
window above that, and you can right click on that.

Then a menu will appear. Choose "Run as administrator". Say yes to the
question about letting it make changes.

Now see if you can open and edit your file.

If you can't follow that, try to get someone else to help you. They
might describe in a way that works better for you.

To follow that presents a problem, when the 'Start Search' refuses to
cooperate, by not being able to find the item.
Just forget the whole thing, if you can, that is.

Gene E. Bloch

To follow that presents a problem, when the 'Start Search' refuses to
cooperate, by not being able to find the item.
Just forget the whole thing, if you can, that is.

What you wrote above makes no real sense...

I can't guess what you mean by "when the 'Start Search' refuses to
cooperate, by not being able to find the item".

For one thing, I never referred to a 'Start Search'... And since you
don't say what you mean by "the item", the vagueness of your statement
is invincible.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:48:14 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch" <not-
(e-mail address removed)> wrote in article
I appreciate your responses. I wonder if webster72n also does...
Unlikely, innit?

webster72n

Gene said:
What you wrote above makes no real sense...

I can't guess what you mean by "when the 'Start Search' refuses to
cooperate, by not being able to find the item".

For one thing, I never referred to a 'Start Search'... And since you
don't say what you mean by "the item", the vagueness of your statement
is invincible.

Meanwhile I extracted the old drive, mounted a new one and 'started from
scratch', by freshly installing my Windows Vista, Home Premium from the
beginning.
Result: no more problems and everything working like a charm.
Thank you and everyone for the extensive help.

Harry.