Acceptable load time?

G

Being new at FP, I am just noticing certain features. I spotted the load time notation at the bottom right on the screen. Nifty! `Course, the page is half built and it's up to 98 seconds at 28.8. I can't ever remember waiting a minute and a half for a page to load back when I had dial-up. What's a guideline for how long the viewer should have to wait, without having been forewarned about slow load time?

K

Kevin Spencer

How many images are in your page? The biggest bandwidth hog in a web page is
generally images, which must be downloaded along with the text in the page.
A good rule of thumb is not to allow the total bytes of the page (including
HTML, which is what you will see in FrontPage Explorer for the HTML file) to
exceed 100 KB. You can determine this by taking the size of the HTML file,
and adding the size of each image that is embedded in it.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up
of lots of little things.

KathyW said:
Being new at FP, I am just noticing certain features. I spotted the load
time notation at the bottom right on the screen. Nifty! `Course, the page is
half built and it's up to 98 seconds at 28.8. I can't ever remember waiting
a minute and a half for a page to load back when I had dial-up. What's a
guideline for how long the viewer should have to wait, without having been
forewarned about slow load time?

G

That's where I get into these problems, because I use pictures with good resolution - my business kind of depends on it. If I have to use more than 2 or so on a page, I make them thumbnail size and link to a larger version on its own page. Is there an efficient way to thumbnail, beyond dragging corners? I have a constant battle with showing good pictures vs keeping load times reasonable.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Create your thumbnails in a image application, then import them into FP at the correct size.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

KathyW said:
That's where I get into these problems, because I use pictures with good resolution - my business
kind of depends on it. If I have to use more than 2 or so on a page, I make them thumbnail size and
link to a larger version on its own page. Is there an efficient way to thumbnail, beyond dragging
corners? I have a constant battle with showing good pictures vs keeping load times reasonable.

Ask a Question