A8V - Promise vs. VIA RAID

ChickenHawk

Hey All,
I just purchased the A8V, and didn't realize that it had 2 raid
controllers - the VIA for 2 SATA drives and the Promise for the other
2 SATA drives and the IDE Master. The manual didn't really go into the
differences, so is there anything to consider when setting this up??
(Right now I plan on using 2 250Gb RAID-1 SATA drives for file
storage, and 2 40Gb RAID-1 EIDE drives for OS and less-used storage).

Thanks for any advice!
chickenhawk

zzipper

The Promise controller is on the PCI bus and considerably slower than the
Via SATA controller. What you'll want to do is boot off the Via SATA
controller and do the data storage on the Promise one.

Colonel Blip

Hello, ChickenHawk!
You wrote on Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:37:48 GMT:

FWIW, I found the Promise controller to be flakey on my board. I had setup a
2 drive RAID0 arrary and got cycling of the reads from about 1 mb/sec to
over 100 mb/sec averaging not much better than a single drive. With the Via
I consistently get in the 100-120 mb/sec reads.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

C> Hey All,
C> I just purchased the A8V, and didn't realize that it had 2 raid
C> controllers - the VIA for 2 SATA drives and the Promise for the other
C> 2 SATA drives and the IDE Master. The manual didn't really go into the
C> differences, so is there anything to consider when setting this up??
C> (Right now I plan on using 2 250Gb RAID-1 SATA drives for file
C> storage, and 2 40Gb RAID-1 EIDE drives for OS and less-used storage).

C> Thanks for any advice!
C> chickenhawk

Colonel Blip

Hello, ChickenHawk!
You wrote on Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:37:48 GMT:

FWIW, I found the Promise controller to be flakey on my board. I had setup a
2 drive RAID0 arrary and got cycling of the reads from about 1 mb/sec to
over 100 mb/sec averaging not much better than a single drive. With the Via
I consistently get in the 100-120 mb/sec reads.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

C> Hey All,
C> I just purchased the A8V, and didn't realize that it had 2 raid
C> controllers - the VIA for 2 SATA drives and the Promise for the other
C> 2 SATA drives and the IDE Master. The manual didn't really go into the
C> differences, so is there anything to consider when setting this up??
C> (Right now I plan on using 2 250Gb RAID-1 SATA drives for file
C> storage, and 2 40Gb RAID-1 EIDE drives for OS and less-used storage).

C> Thanks for any advice!
C> chickenhawk

Colonel Blip

Hello, ChickenHawk!
You wrote on Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:37:48 GMT:

FWIW, I found the Promise controller to be flakey on my board. I had setup a
2 drive RAID0 arrary and got cycling of the reads from about 1 mb/sec to
over 100 mb/sec averaging not much better than a single drive. With the Via
I consistently get in the 100-120 mb/sec reads.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

C> Hey All,
C> I just purchased the A8V, and didn't realize that it had 2 raid
C> controllers - the VIA for 2 SATA drives and the Promise for the other
C> 2 SATA drives and the IDE Master. The manual didn't really go into the
C> differences, so is there anything to consider when setting this up??
C> (Right now I plan on using 2 250Gb RAID-1 SATA drives for file
C> storage, and 2 40Gb RAID-1 EIDE drives for OS and less-used storage).

C> Thanks for any advice!
C> chickenhawk

ChickenHawk

Thanks for the advice! Sorry for not responding earlier - been
fighting through mobo issues!