A8N-SLI Deluxe SATA Drive recognition problems

Dave McCaleb

System:
Winchester 3000+ (Waiting on the FX 55)
A8N-SLI Deluxe
2 IDE Harddiscs 300 + 250 GB
2 SATA Harddiscs Maxtor 250 + 160 GB
Creative Audigy 4 Pro
ATI X700Pro PEG (Waiting on the 6800 GTs)
Card Reader Front w/USB board connect
Floppy
ASUS E616 DVD ROM
Benq DW1620Pro DVD DL Burner
PSU Be Quiet 470 W with 24 pin connector and PCI Express plug, dedicated 12v
Pin for SLI modus

Hi,
I've been working with this system about a week, and the SATA drives are not
being recognized . I am using the nVidea SATA slots, IDE mode, and the BIOS
will find both SATA HDs on first start up. IDE drives, Graphic card, and
Audigy all recognized and running, but after a few seconds, up to 2 minutes,
1 SATA drive just dissappears from Windows. The second, 250 GB, will be
available for a while, but then it too will either quit working, or as I try
to work with that drive, the computer freezes up. Both SATA drives were on
my previous system, (A7V8X Deluxe), already formatted with files and
partitions. These files and partitions are visible for a while, but then
flat go away. OK, REBOOT, and during the POST, 1 or BOTH of the SATA
drives are no longer there. I'm thinking nVidea SATA controller is faulty.
Both were activated, nVidea and Silicon Image, and I then deactivated the
SI, as I wanted no RAID config. I've also tried the SI SATA slots, but there
is no recognition.Without the SATA Harddiscs, the system appears stable.
BTW, the A7V8X SATA installation was running stable, no problems, for about
a year. Therefore, I believe the Harddiscs not the problem. Any suggestions?
I'm pretty sure I'm taking the board back today, but maybe I'll have the
same prob with the new motherboard.
Dave

Dave McCaleb

Additionally, I remember installing the Asus Overclock utility on the fresh
Windows install. Is it possible that the overclock utility could damage the
Hard discs by increasing the voltage to the them? Is that possible. I can't
imagine an overclocking tool that would change voltage to Discs.

DarkElldar

The Hard disks get there own power from the PSU. The MB can't raise the
power to them, But if your PSU is not sufficiant or is damaged the lower
voltage and current to the computer components will cause problems if they
don't get enough power. Your PSU is more than enough for what you are trying
to power. I would look at getting another board, seems the SATA controler is
faulty.

Steen Brusgaard

I've been working with this system about a week, and the SATA drives are
not
being recognized . I am using the nVidea SATA slots, IDE mode, and the
BIOS
will find both SATA HDs on first start up. IDE drives, Graphic card, and
Audigy all recognized and running, but after a few seconds, up to 2
minutes,
1 SATA drive just dissappears from Windows. The second, 250 GB, will be
available for a while, but then it too will either quit working, or as I
try
to work with that drive, the computer freezes up.

I have the Maxtor 300GB 16MB SATA drive. I ran flawlesly in my old A7N8X 2.0
Deluxe and also on the A8N-SLI Deluxe. One problem though: I tried upgrading
to the 1003 BIOS, and the disc didn't even spin up when powering on the
computer. If I removed the SATA cable beforehand, it would spin up, but to
no use of course. I therefore tried hitting Pause during memory testing and
then plug in the SATA cable, and then it worked! OK, this was not a
procedure I would like to do on a daily basis, so I instead flashed the beta
1 of the 1004 BIOS, and the problem went away. My old Seagate PATA disc did
spin up like normal with 1003 BIOS, so I assume something was changed in the
signals from the S-ATA controller. The Maxtor didn't like them for sure.

Not sure if any of this is in any way related to you problems, but you could
try with the latest beta BIOS, if you're running BIOS 1003 now. You can find
it at
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_939/NVIDIA_Chipset/nForce4_SLI/

Regards,
Steen B.

milleron

The Hard disks get there own power from the PSU. The MB can't raise the
power to them, But if your PSU is not sufficiant or is damaged the lower
voltage and current to the computer components will cause problems if they
don't get enough power. Your PSU is more than enough for what you are trying
to power. I would look at getting another board, seems the SATA controler is
faulty.

Both SATA controllers?? Possible but it seems like an unlikely
coincidence. What's common to both SATA controllers is the SATA
cables, and SATA connections are notoriously flaky. It is conceivable
that something could have happened to the cables in the trip from the
old computer to the new one, and a flaky connector could certainly
account for the drives showing up and working momentarily, then
"disappearing." I'd be very interested to know what happens with at
least one new cable.

Ron

Dave McCaleb

Welp, It's beyond me. This is a perfectly working system, other than it
balks at using the SATA drives. I only want them in an IDE double master
arrangement. No RAID or anything. I have disabled the SI controller in BIOS,
disabled RAID on the nVidia controller, tried new cables, disconnected the
160MB, then reconnected the 160MB and removed the 250MB, then reconnected
the 250MB, and removed both. All WITHOUT power, of course. On booting it is
doing the exact same thing as the first board, only working properly
without the SATA boards. I have reconnected the 160MB (They are both
Maxtors), on my working Asus A7N8X computer, (I'm corresponding with the
group on it), and it recognizes the Disc, although it wouldn't import it,
only connect it as a new disc with fresh partition. I thought, "maybe now
the A8N-SLI will recognize it with the fresh Format", buuut... it still
refuses to "see" the 160 disc, and can only "see" the 250 disc shortly,
before "losing" it, and booting only with the IDE drives. Is it possible
that I have a second bad board. Not likely, but I can't imagine what I am
doing wrong. As I said, the drives "Seem" to be ok, booting on another
computer, but almost invisible to the A8N-SLI. Anyone have any other
suggestions?

Edward Smith

I had this same problem with my Maxtor 250Gb sata drive after I upgraded to
the 1003 bios. I reverted back to 1002 and the problem cleared up. Don't
know why.

Dave McCaleb

Hi Ed,
thanks for the suggestion. I reflashed, (BTW, going to the older BIOS
meant flashing with the AWDFLASH utility in DOS, sure like doing it in
Windows better) and the Disc was present. I then tried to reconect as a
fresh disc, buuuut... boom, computer freeze. This is my second board, and I
am beginning to think either I have gotten TWO fake Asus boards, or ASUS
quality management has gone to the DOGS. I sure am glad I have the time,
interest, and patience, (not to mention a second operating system) in
getting this system running, because what with the lost time, lost files,
and aggravation, I'd be mental about now. I am beginning to think that, ...
uup... oppp... I DID get a second rotten board! Still waiting for the
verdict on the first board, over at the tech shop of my computer supply. I
will keep posting. Dave