A lament for WinDates (was: Appointment calendar)

A

Anonymous

On Sun, Apr 30 2006 12:16 pm, Steve King wrote:

<< I'm looking for an appointment calendar, that can print out appointments, birthdays, etc., in calendar form. We've used WinDates for years, but it's no longer supported or updated. Also, it's always been pretty buggy and it's obviously not going to be improved now. >>

It's unfortunate that the author quit WinDates due to other commercial interests. I see no need to stop using it for that reason alone. Funny thing about software; people feel like shelving it unless it's constantly being updated, even if it works well. With WinDates I'm going to resist that temptation.

I've tested dozens of calendar apps (freeware and shareware) and none has WinDates' unique combination of intuitive GUI and instant reminders. "Visual Calendar Planner" makes an effort but I find it kludgy.

The bugs in the last version of WinDates (5.1) were minor for me. I never tried the now defunct connectivity gadgets (icaldates.com). There is the occasional black Tray icon and inability to delete a recurring reminder once you've snoozed it. The Tray icon date doesn't always refresh if you hibernate your PC. Very rarely, it crashes without warning. Other than that it's a program I depend on daily. It's the easiest way to never forget anything as long as your PC is running.

I hope someone takes a clue from the interface and writes a "clone." I may keep using WinDates until the day when it's incompatible with future hardware.

N.C

Ask a Question