A "database" for random thoughts and critiques?

Phred

G'day mates,

Back in the days of DOS 3.3 ISTR a "database" program that allowed one
to accumulate random notes on all sorts of topics and *find* each
of them again with some degree of certainty and ease.

Anyone know if such is still available in the era of Windows XP et al?

I guess one should really consider something with a degree of
discipline involved to make future searching efficient. Maybe a fully
random "notebase" would be little more than a Word document with
simple Edit/Find as the "search" mechanism?

But perhaps someone has designed a program with features to facilitate
this sort of thing. If so, can anyone point to a link to it, please?
Even better if you can also comment on its worth.

TIA for any contributions.

Cheers, Phred.

Michael Laplante

Phred said:
G'day mates,

Back in the days of DOS 3.3 ISTR a "database" program that allowed one
to accumulate random notes on all sorts of topics and *find* each
of them again with some degree of certainty and ease.

Anyone know if such is still available in the era of Windows XP et al?

All sorts of them. . . I love and use Treepad Lite (www.treepad.com) because
it saves in text format, so little chance of file corruption rendering all
your data unusable. There is also Keynote -- no longer in development but
still functional -- which stores notes in a type of RTF format
(http://www.tranglos.com/free/).

Both of these use advanced search to find all the notes that fit your
description. Keynote actually allows for Boolean searches.

Lesser known is NetPicker which stores notes in HTML format which you can
edit. http://www.netpicker.net/

A recent favourite here is NeoMem. I don't use as it saves info in some sort
of proprietary format but lots of people here like it. www.neomem.com

Another alternative is Notetab Lite. www.notetab.com It is a text editor but
has advanced search capabilities. Combined with its native scripting
language you might be able to "roll your own" database.

Craig

Michael said:
Lesser known is NetPicker which stores notes in HTML format which you can
edit. http://www.netpicker.net/
The 'html format' caught my eye so I thought I'd check this out. First
I followed the linky above, checked out the site. Second, I just
googled the word netpicker. Thought I might p/u some ancillary info...

For the first time ever, I noticed a statement at the bottom of the
googled results:

Copyright Act, we have removed 3 result(s) from this page. If you wish,
you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at
ChillingEffects.org."

The complaint is against netpicker for allegedly grabbing copyrighted
content from the plaintiff's site. You can read the full complaint
here: http://www.chillingeffects.org/notice.cgi?sID=627.

I haven't bothered to compare texts to come to my own conclusion on the
matter however, it is troubling to see the leader in search engines
making results "disappear" based on a complaint (as opposed to a court
finding).

fyi,
-Craig

Michael Laplante

For the first time ever, I noticed a statement at the bottom of the
googled results:
I haven't bothered to compare texts to come to my own conclusion on the
matter however, it is troubling to see the leader in search engines making
results "disappear" based on a complaint (as opposed to a court finding).

I've come across this notice a few times in the last few months. I did check
out this particular situation. Whatever the copyright infringement, it
doesn't appear to involve Netpicker in any way.

Rod Speed

Phred said:
Back in the days of DOS 3.3 ISTR a "database" program that
allowed one to accumulate random notes on all sorts of topics and
*find* each of them again with some degree of certainty and ease.
Anyone know if such is still available in the era of Windows XP et al?

Yes, you can run google on your own collection.

Main downside is the lack of wildcards.
I guess one should really consider something with a degree
of discipline involved to make future searching efficient.

Yeah, I prefer to use a real database with the important
stuff in real database fields, most obviously with the notes
on hardware, with a proper database for the hardware etc.
Maybe a fully random "notebase" would be little more than a Word
document with simple Edit/Find as the "search" mechanism?

It makes more sense to break it up into individual notes
if you want to search it with something like google.
But perhaps someone has designed a program
with features to facilitate this sort of thing.

Yes, there are certainly some of those around.
If so, can anyone point to a link to it, please?

Fraid not. I do my own databases instead.

Susan Bugher

Craig said:
For the first time ever, I noticed a statement at the bottom of the
googled results:

Copyright Act, we have removed 3 result(s) from this page. If you wish,
you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at
ChillingEffects.org."

The complaint is against netpicker for allegedly grabbing copyrighted
content from the plaintiff's site. You can read the full complaint
here: http://www.chillingeffects.org/notice.cgi?sID=627.

I haven't bothered to compare texts to come to my own conclusion on the
matter however, it is troubling to see the leader in search engines
making results "disappear" based on a complaint (as opposed to a court
finding).

IIRC this is an end run by Google (harassment by Scientology caused them
to initiate the policy). They will remove links from search results BUT
they show the links in their explanation of why the links were removed.
Net result - the link is still available. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Lord-Data

Microsoft Onenote isn't a bad option, if a little pricey .. If you have the
Office Professional Package however, you will find you already have it, on
CD 5.

Worth a look if you already have office pro.. Its a very good app, but not
worth the $$ (to me anyway) if I didn't already have it ..

FTR

Lord-Data said:
Microsoft Onenote isn't a bad option, if a little pricey .. If you have the
Office Professional Package however, you will find you already have it, on
CD 5.

Worth a look if you already have office pro.. Its a very good app, but not
worth the $$ (to me anyway) if I didn't already have it ..
Did you look into FreeMind ? It obliges you to structure your ideas.

There were several threads on free note programs in th recent weeks
FT

Kinetic

Microsoft Onenote isn't a bad option, if a little pricey .. If you have the
Office Professional Package however, you will find you already have it, on
CD 5.

Worth a look if you already have office pro.. Its a very good app, but not
worth the $$ (to me anyway) if I didn't already have it ..

There's a very good freeware alternative to Onenote called Evernote
(www.evernote.com) I've been using it for a couple of months now and am
very pleased with it so far.

J.

rapdor

Phred wrote:

Thanks to others who have offered suggestions too -- not sure how
I'll find time to test them all though!

I'm having a look at FreeMind at the moment. It's a bit of a mystery.

Phred

for an online option, you could try baseportal.com

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave, but I don't really like the idea of
that approach -- though I can see it could be useful to someone who is
moving around and needs to access their "random notes" from assorted
locations.

Cheers, Phred.

Damien McBain

Phred committed to the eternal aether...:
G'day mates,

Back in the days of DOS 3.3 ISTR a "database" program that allowed one
to accumulate random notes on all sorts of topics and *find* each
of them again with some degree of certainty and ease.

Anyone know if such is still available in the era of Windows XP et al?

I guess one should really consider something with a degree of
discipline involved to make future searching efficient. Maybe a fully
random "notebase" would be little more than a Word document with
simple Edit/Find as the "search" mechanism?

But perhaps someone has designed a program with features to facilitate
this sort of thing. If so, can anyone point to a link to it, please?
Even better if you can also comment on its worth.

You could even use outlook (journal). Very searchable and with the ability
to make custom fields.

(ProteanThread)

IIRC this is an end run by Google (harassment by Scientology caused
them to initiate the policy). They will remove links from search
results BUT they show the links in their explanation of why the links
were removed. Net result - the link is still available. :)

Susan

its scary when Google caves into Scientology but no into the government,
isn't it?

Matth

erm. . . my point was that Google *didn't* cave in

I like the approach - we won't list it, but we'll send you somewhere
that tells you what we didn't list and why...

http://www.netpicker.net/netpicker.html - nothing contentious on this
page, and at least they contribute some useful freeware., Instaead of
garbage like a "PREDICTIVE DIALLER" - (telephone spam assistant)

It seems they have a lot pages which are merely index spamming, so
Google should have been punishing them for that!