A Census question

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here has received one of those Census reminder cards through their letterbox?

We received one yesterday, even though we returned our Census questionnaire on 14th March. It was actually handed to the Postmistress of our local PO, because the envelope was a bit big for the postbox. That was exactly 28 days ago.

One is told to "ignore" the reminder "if you returned your questionnaire within the last few days." So how long is a few? I would have thought up to one week, maybe..?

On the Census website it states:
Letters have been sent to a sample of households in certain areas to encourage full and prompt participation in the census. This is to make sure that households in your area know about the census, and that you make the most of your opportunity to take part.
But isn't that a waste of time, money and effort, if they're being sent to folk who have already participated..?

The really annoying thing is that this is deja-vu, because way back in 2001, the same thing happened, only at that time, two women turned up on our doorstep and, after announcing that our Census had not been received, demanded that we should answer various questions there and then! We had returned our Census forms on that occasion too. :wall:

So, just wondering what's happening to these forms that were so painstakingly filled-in and returned and whether anyone else's strayed...? Are they being beamed-up by Alien spacecraft...? Was the Postie attacked by a pack of wild dogs as he tried to deliver the Census envelopes? Or have the dimwits at the Council Offices lost them down the back of the filing cabinets again? :fool:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So, they've just sent them out randomly? :confused: Bizarre (and a waste) if so! Or just to a random sample of those not received?

I did mine online and it seemed to go smoothly, although filling it out on paper does seem a little easier as you can get an easy overview of what has been filled in already.

That said, our council has been a mixed bag... it took me weeks of calls and letters to get my council tax paid when we first moved in and it was almost impossible to get in contact (even when they started sending automated "final demand" letters, even though I was trying to pay :rolleyes:). On the other hand, the noise abatement department was excellent - couldn't fault them at all!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It doesn't make much economic sense, does it? :rolleyes:

I decided to contact our Council's Census department, and emailed them earlier. I've just received a reply from the woman who appears to be in charge of fielding Census questions. (Not quite sure how knowledgeable she is though, because she tried to say that PO counter staff were not allowed to handle Census forms, which had to be deposited in a post-box! Some hope of that... the one we use is a small, very ancient little box, which is set into the side of the PO building in a nearby village! However, when I did a bit of checking around, I found that Census forms could be either posted, or handed to the PO staff... it was on the Census website, so ...:p na-na-nee-na-na to her!) Lol... sorry. :D

Anyway, she has referred our query to the Census Area Manager, who has, to be fair, also replied very speedily. He seemed to be genuinely apologetic and, has taken more details about when and where our Census was posted. He is now attempting to trace it in their tracking system. Hmm... we shall see.:rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Filled in and returned my Census form within a week of receiving it.

Told them I was a transvestite co-habiting with a one eyed male dwarf named Sheila and at the time of filling in the Questionaire the entire Cardiff male voice choir were bedding down in the spare room.

Is the Census legally compulsory? I don't think it is but not sure.

If somebody demanded answers to questions at my doorstep I'd call them jolly rood names and would perhaps throw custard at them.

One week after posting my censarse a geezer knocked at the door and asked if I had done so, friendly bloke, didn't mind that.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Is the Census legally compulsory? I don't think it is but not sure.

I am fairly certain that it is. There is, supposedly, a fine of up to £1000 for non-compliance. At the previous census a couple of hundred thousand didn't reply but only about 30 people were taken to court.

But isn't that a waste of time, money and effort, if they're being sent to folk who have already participated..?
YES !!

Wonder how many forms were actually slung in the bin by people who couldn't be bothered, didn't understand it or didn't want anyone knowing that they're here in the UK.

I did mine online and have an e-census receipt. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here has received one of those Census reminder cards through their letterbox?

Filled mine out online the day the paper one came in the post. LAst week Wednesday had one of the reminder cards come in the post. Then this morning had somebody knocking at my door about filling out my census form.

Reaction score
I filled mine on line but because of human error ME I seem to have deleted the recipt but havent had a reminder so I supose they have mine somewhere.

Reaction score
There has been a lot of fuss about filling in the census.People say it`s being nosey. But looking at the form and it`s questions I personaly don`t find it intrusive at all. All it`s doing is asking how we live in a snap shot of time. Look at the census of 1901 the amount of info there about how people lived then makes for interesting reading. And in a 100 years time I`m sure our census will be just as interesting.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I am fairly certain that it is. There is, supposedly, a fine of up to £1000 for non-compliance.

The very mention of the word 'compliance' makes me not want to comply ;)

ooo I'm such a wascly webel :D

Would agree with Historian, snapshots of history over the ages make for interesting reading years on.

Reaction score
I'm a Jedi Knight, but my other half dug her heels in & told me i could not put it down!:cry:
So next time i'm filliing it in before she has a chance!!:lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I did NOT fill mine in, is still on the shelving filed under R :)

State mandated Data Rape. :rolleyes:

£1000 fine for non compliance. (its the usual ‘you will comply or we will hurt you’ big brother style of government). stone, blood, you can try. :sleep:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
My census form has been returned.

In answer to the question: ”Do you have any Dependants”

I put “Asylum seekers, Smackheads, most of Liverpool, the cast of Jeremy Kyle, the Tipton Taliban, Northern Rock, the Scottish NHS and half of Eastern Europe”.

Apparently, it wasn’t the right answer!!!

:D

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. A woman turned up on my door demandind I do the same. I personally found it very intrusive. Sending reminders all the time what a waste of tax payers money. I did mine online this time.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sending reminders all the time what a waste of tax payers money.

I could be the driver an articulated lorry
I could be a poet, I wouldn't need to worry
I could be the teacher in a classroom full of scholars
I could be the sergeant in a squadron full of wallahs

What a waste
What a waste
What a waste
What a waste

Because I chose to play the fool in a six-piece band
First night nerves every one night stand
I should be glad to be so inclined
What a waste! What a waste!