9600 vs. 9600SE

Barry Watzman

I can't find the 9600SE on the ATI web site at all.

How does the board-level (video card) 9600SE compare to the 9600 (both
128MB DDR)?

That is, first, how is the performance of one compared to the other?

Second, I know that the 9600 has DVI, VGA and TV out, but I don't know
the connector configuration of the 9600SE.

[Debating between some of the 9600 boards that Best Buy had the day
after Thanksgiving (there are a ton of them on E-Bay) and the 9600SE
that Best Buy has on sale this week]. Price is about the same either
way. But I do need VGA/DVI/TV outputs.

matthew utt

the 9600 se is basically an underclocked 9600 non pro
and it doesnt use the bpga memory
thats the lil square memory not the rectangle memory
which also limits the ability to overclock since the momory speeds are
slower

Vellu

The SE model is noticeably slower due to it's limited bandwidth (64 bit vs
128 bit) and lower clock speed. Also TV-out is composite (RCA) only, the
9600 or 9600 Pro both have s-video tv-out. SE does have DVI. Also some
manufacturers do not supply the SE card with a fan, so if you're looking for
a silent card this would be it.

I own a Club3D 9600SE at my barebone system, it performs well enough to play
most, even newer, games with most of the eye candy turned on. For example
Need for Speed: Underground runs perfectly with everything set to maximum
except "Light Trails" or "Blur", but if you enable either of those two it
becomes unplayable. No match in performance against it's bigger "brothers"
(9600 pro, 9700 and 9800 series).

Excellent choice for an ultimate budget PC: it can be purchased (in this
country anyway) for as low as 100 euros. Other then that, forget it.

Dark Avenger

Barry Watzman said:
I can't find the 9600SE on the ATI web site at all.

How does the board-level (video card) 9600SE compare to the 9600 (both
128MB DDR)?

That is, first, how is the performance of one compared to the other?

Second, I know that the 9600 has DVI, VGA and TV out, but I don't know
the connector configuration of the 9600SE.

[Debating between some of the 9600 boards that Best Buy had the day
after Thanksgiving (there are a ton of them on E-Bay) and the 9600SE
that Best Buy has on sale this week]. Price is about the same either
way. But I do need VGA/DVI/TV outputs.

Sigh,

I'm sorry but have to warn you about the SE

90% chance the board is 64-bits based ( memorybus ) and then you have
the same stuff as with the FX5200, 64-bits CRAPS and 128-bits are
fine!

Buy ATLEAST a 9600 Non Pro from a good branch, and please.. no
madview, those sell trash!

Robert Hendy

Dark Avenger said:
Barry Watzman <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

Am considering upgrading to 9600 Non Pro
from GF2mx-400, Dark Avenger, is Power Color a good branch($190 CanD)?

get a SAPPHIRE 9500np 128 bit 64mb for ($112 Can)
http://www.vibecomputers.com/

Robert Hendy said:
Dark Avenger said:
[...]

Power Color, .. many of their cards of very bad PCB's. Sapphire is
nice! And yes a Non Pro will suit you!