700MB CD-R is not recognized

G

I recently inserted a 700MB CD-R into my new HP zt3000 notebook's DVD/CD-RW combo drive. The Windows XP Pro wizard starts up to try to open the usual prompt when detecting CD-R's, i.e. take no action, burn files, open explorer window, etc. It gives me a device not accessible message. However, I also have Roxio software installed and that seems to have no issue recognizing and burning to the media. Why does Windows have an issue. Is there a driver update that I need. I looked but could not find anything related.

Thanks

Bryan

P

Paul

Disable xps one. its useless. If u use
CD Creator 5 with updates or 6+
thats easier and better than XP's one. As
Xp's cd burning at the mo, doesnt support
packet-writing/formatting, if you wanna format
CD's.

Bryan said:
I recently inserted a 700MB CD-R into my new HP zt3000 notebook's
DVD/CD-RW combo drive. The Windows XP Pro wizard starts up to try to open
the usual prompt when detecting CD-R's, i.e. take no action, burn files,
open explorer window, etc. It gives me a device not accessible message.
However, I also have Roxio software installed and that seems to have no
issue recognizing and burning to the media. Why does Windows have an issue.
Is there a driver update that I need. I looked but could not find anything
related.

G

But shouldn't XP's CD-R wizard still recognize the 700MB format and permit writing to it. A friend of mine has a Sony Vaio laptop and he is able to use the XP software to burn the same 700MB CD-Rs?

G

I believe I resolved the issue. I have Drag-to-Disc (Roxio CD Creator/DVD Creator 6) and this apparently has some conflicts with XP's burining option. It turns out the issue is with ANY blank CD-R. Roxio disables Windows's "Enable CD recording on this drive" option from the Recording tab as it overtakes control of the drive when it is Blank. Once a drive has been written to, it lets you use Windows Explorer to manage subsequent sessions.

Ask a Question