64Bit gaming

Reaction score
Just read the article on Anandtech about a new 64-bit only patch for Far Cry. It's got some interesting screenshots that demo the diffrence with and without the patch applied. It also highlights some of the wider issues about 64Bit and games that seem worth knowing. The patch itself is enourmous at 1.5GB - so I'd think twice about downloading it;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I am far from being a games expert, but even I can see how big the difference is - impressive! :)

Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
I am far from being a games expert, but even I can see how big the difference is - impressive! :)

Yup - but the conclusion seems to be that all the benefits they demonstrate could esily be delivered through existing 32bit architecture as long as you have a top end vid. It would be nice to see the screenshots a bit larger though to get a better idea of just how good it looks in actual gameplay. I've just reinstalled farCry - mmm...perhaps I'll download the patch (after i get the x64 OS of course:()

Last edited:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Yeah, you could see a real difference in detail (e.g. bushes) and the extent of images (e.g. hills in the far distance). Would be nice to see how that would actually be like during gameplay - I suppose it would just add to the sense of realism

Ask a Question