50,000 in ComboBox?

hao

Hi, all,

Is it possible to list a huge number of items in ComboBox and make it quick?
Like 50,000 items? My customer use MS Access before and in Access, he can
use ComboBox from datagrid(datasheet view
in Access) to select item. The speed is good in Access with Autocomplete.
Now in our new project,
he still wish we can make it possible in vb.net. We tried a lot of ways but
the speed is still disppointed.

Anyone know how to do it? Any suggest is very very welcome.

Thanx,
Hao

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* "hao said:
Is it possible to list a huge number of items in ComboBox and make it quick?
Like 50,000 items? My customer use MS Access before and in Access, he can
use ComboBox from datagrid(datasheet view
in Access) to select item. The speed is good in Access with Autocomplete.
Now in our new project,
he still wish we can make it possible in vb.net. We tried a lot of ways but
the speed is still disppointed.

Are you sure a user will be able to select from 50,000 items?

CJ Taylor

Well...

theoretically you can have
2,147,483,647 in a combobox...

so.. yeah, 50,000 could work.

Would it be fast????

well... my advice is wish in one hand... sh*t in the other... see which one
fills up faster.

No... it would not be fast... 2... who puts 50,000 items in a combobox???
Use some kinda grouping at least...

One Handed Man [ OHM# ]

50,000 items in a combo box. - Bad descision. You need to re-think your
design, this is far too many to be of practical use.

(One possible way)
Instead of this, why dont you retreive the data into a dataset and then
create a view of this. You can bind the Cobmbo box to the DataView and then
use the textchanged event in the combo box to select the first letter or
second , that will at least narrow down the volume of data you would want to
find in the combo box to a more realistic number, successive keystrokes
could narrow this down further.

HTH - regards OHM

CJ Taylor

Herfried says things nicer than I do.

=)

CJ Taylor said:
Well...

theoretically you can have
2,147,483,647 in a combobox...

so.. yeah, 50,000 could work.

Would it be fast????

well... my advice is wish in one hand... sh*t in the other... see which one
fills up faster.

No... it would not be fast... 2... who puts 50,000 items in a combobox???
Use some kinda grouping at least...

ways

Cor

HI OHM,

It is your speciality a combobox on every row of the datagrid is asked the
same as with Access.

Cor

One Handed Man [ OHM# ]

I dont suppose we will get a reply before tomorrow from the OP anyway.

Regards - OHM

hao

Yes, that's true. If the guy didn't use Access before, we don't have such
problem.
He think the program by .net CAN do everything just like Access.

hao

Seams this is the only way to do that. I wish we can narrow the list to 3000
items and make it fast.

Hao

hao

Yes, it's true, it's a furniture retail store with >200 suppliers. Each has
1000 to 3000 items. Their customer chooses the item from the catalog(more
than 200 catalogs), so you know why the list is so long.

Hao

CJ Taylor

That doesn't necessarily explain why it has to be long...

what about grouping by vendor? and then category of furniture... or even
subcategories for that matter...

There are a lot better ways to approach this than just making a list of
50,000 items.

hao said:
Yes, it's true, it's a furniture retail store with >200 suppliers. Each has
1000 to 3000 items. Their customer chooses the item from the catalog(more
than 200 catalogs), so you know why the list is so long.

Hao

CJ Taylor said:
I gotta ask...

what on earth do you have that is 50,000 items long?

hao said:
Seams this is the only way to do that. I wish we can narrow the list
3000
items and make it fast.

Hao

"One Handed Man [ OHM# ]" <O_H_M{at}BTInternet{dot}com> wrote in message
50,000 items in a combo box. - Bad descision. You need to re-think your
design, this is far too many to be of practical use.

(One possible way)
Instead of this, why dont you retreive the data into a dataset and then
create a view of this. You can bind the Cobmbo box to the DataView and
then
use the textchanged event in the combo box to select the first
letter

jim

honestly hao, the user would probably thank you for grouping the choices
like this...