5.25 floppy drive not found

I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (to burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there some settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

Mike

Go into BIOS at startup and select the appropriate floppy drive..

TG said:
I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (to
burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there some
settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

Papa

Did you go into the BIOS and change the setting which allows the 5.25 inch
floppy to be used?

TG said:
I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (to
burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there some
settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

ye

----- Papa wrote: ----

Did you go into the BIOS and change the setting which allows the 5.25 inc
floppy to be used

TG said:
I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (t
burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there som
settings so that the floppy drive will be found

Yes, I did that and it still did not find the drive

TG said:
I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (t
burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there som
settings so that the floppy drive will be found

Papa

Take a look into the Device Manager and see if it lists the 5.25 floppy
drive. Also put a bootable floppy in your 5.25 floppy drive and see if it
boots. Make sure you have specified the appropriate 5.25 in your BIOS -
there are choices within that particular size. Did you assign the 5.25 as a
B drive? Is it listed on the screen as you boot up (before going into
Windows)?

Finally, are you sure that the 5.25 drive is functional, and are you using
formatted disks?

Good luck.

I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, and no floppy drive
I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy driv
I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct size
When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power
I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.25 drive back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine

Thanks

----- Papa wrote: ----

Take a look into the Device Manager and see if it lists the 5.25 flopp
drive. Also put a bootable floppy in your 5.25 floppy drive and see if i
boots. Make sure you have specified the appropriate 5.25 in your BIOS
there are choices within that particular size. Did you assign the 5.25 as
B drive? Is it listed on the screen as you boot up (before going int
Windows)

Finally, are you sure that the 5.25 drive is functional, and are you usin
formatted disks

Good luck

TG, you might want check and make sure youe floppy cable is properly seated at both ends.

You know Yves I think your absolutely, dead on, right. I don't why I didn't see that? I was thinking 3.25 innch floppy. I haven't even seen a 5.25 floppy, since about 1987.

Peter Hutchison

I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, and no floppy drive.
I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy drive
I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct size)
When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power.
I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.25 drive back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine.
Windows XP does not support 5.25" drives.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

Whiteman

Papa said:
"Peter Hutchison" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, an
no
floppy drive.
I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy
drive
I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct
size)
When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power.
I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.2
drive
back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine.

Windows XP does not support 5.25" drives.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

Not quite true. XP does not support formatting 5.25 inch floppies, bu
it
will allow reads and writes.

Thought you might be intrested. Tried to install a 5.25" 1.2Mb driv
under XP and the only way XP would recognize and show the drive i
explorer was if the 3.5" drive was connected as well. Again the BIO
had to be correctly set A: 3.5" 1.44mb b: 5.25" 1.2mb

Yves Leclerc

MS has decided to stop supporting 5 1/4 floppy drives. You can not normally
format the 5 1/4 floppies.

Frank

Yves Leclerc said:
MS has decided to stop supporting 5 1/4 floppy drives. You can not
normally format the 5 1/4 floppies.

Legacy devices are controlled by the MB not the OS. Also FAT16 IS FAT16.