3rd Party compact/repair tools?

dbguy_atlanta

Can anybody recommend a third party compact/repair tool for checking Access
database consistency and recovering corrupt databases?

I'd prefer a tool that follows basic software engineering standards like
providing an indication if problems were found, what the problems were, if
the fix succeeded, etc.

Yeah, Access' own compact/repair has been helpful in many instances but I
would not mind investing in a third party tool that's been properly
engineered.

Thanks

S.Clark

Only Microsoft knows why a database, and I'm only referring to .mdb's,
becomes corrupt, and even they typically don't really know.

PKS does some data recovery, but even that doesn't mean that they know why
it became corrupt.

Jerry Whittle

Microsoft has a JetComp utility for doing compact and repair. I reportively
does a better job of repairs, plus forces you to make a backup first.

Instead of dealing with corruption issues after the fact, you might want to
nip them in the bud. Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database
corruption.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database
towards the bottom this page:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp

dbguy_atlanta

Yes, I've used the JetComp utility but as I recall it also doesn't bother to
indicate what it found if anything, what was done, etc. It's been a while,
am I forgetting and it does have a reasonable user interface and feedback???
Seems like it was also very raw and unfinished software like the built-in
compact/repair. Also, I think most of us have discovered that Microsoft's
compact/repair utilities are about 50/50 successful, often yes, often no.

Thanks for the other resources but I'm already familiar with those ideas
(and use many of them). I have great luck with Access in production. Very
stable, rarely do I have corruption problems at client sites. I have few
complaints regarding Access in my production environments. Of course I'll
take some of the credit since I avoid versions and features of Access that I
don't trust.

On the development side however, that's another story. I have Access open
and in use most of every day and crashes are very common while I'm
developing. Many aspects of the development environment and other features
rarely used by the general public, are poorly debugged. And lets face it,
Microsoft thinks it's okay for development products to crash frequently. I
guess it's 'geek machismo', we claim to be programmers, we should be able to
deal. They don't put the effort into debugging our products and features that
go into the the features that are used by the public at large, that's simply
a fact. They look at their spreadsheets that show actual counts of which
features are used by the most people and most of the debugging effort goes
there. The features Access developers use and the general public does not use
just don't warrant as much debugging effort and time as the parts that get
used by the masses. That's just the reality of a bottom line oriented vendor.

So, I'm a realist, Access will continue to crash in the development
environment and I'd like to get some more tools that will help me avoid
losing a couple of hours work every now and then. Of course I backup, a
couple of times a day in fact, but you can't backup every hour.

a a r o n . k e m p f

if your database corrupts-- move upstream to a reliable database.

Upsize to a true client-server architecture using 'Access Data
Projects'.

-Aaron

susan roads

message
if your database corrupts-- move upstream to a reliable database.

Upsize to a true client-server architecture using 'Access Data
Projects'.

-Aaron

HoneyLove

Susan roads said: