3021 error on delete record

G

Access 2002: I have a delete button on my form, and it includes this line to perform the actual delete

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecor

I am getting a "No current record (error 3021)" error that occurs at this line in my code ONLY when the record being deleted is the last one on the form; it does not happen if I choose a record other than the bottom record. It does delete the record, however. It happens on all forms that use this command (and this is a routine I use on virtually every form). If I turn on my record selectors & delete the record by selecting it and pressing the "Delete" key on the keyboard, it deletes without the error

This just started after my hard drive failed and I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro and Office XP Pro. All Windows & Office updates have been applied, however. I have Jet SP 4.0.8015. This occurs even after a Compact/Repair and whether I convert this to Access 2000 or 2002.

T

TC

Are you sure that the cursor is not positioned on the unsaved blank new
record at the end of the form, when you run that code?

HTH,
TC

Brian said:
Access 2002: I have a delete button on my form, and it includes this line to perform the actual delete:

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord

I am getting a "No current record (error 3021)" error that occurs at this
line in my code ONLY when the record being deleted is the last one on the
form; it does not happen if I choose a record other than the bottom record.
It does delete the record, however. It happens on all forms that use this
command (and this is a routine I use on virtually every form). If I turn on
my record selectors & delete the record by selecting it and pressing the
"Delete" key on the keyboard, it deletes without the error.
This just started after my hard drive failed and I had to reinstall
Windows XP Pro and Office XP Pro. All Windows & Office updates have been
applied, however. I have Jet SP 4.0.8015. This occurs even after a
Compact/Repair and whether I convert this to Access 2000 or 2002.

A

Allen Browne

Surprised this occurs in Access 2000, but other users have reported the same
issue after installing SP3 on Access 2002.

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

Brian said:
Access 2002: I have a delete button on my form, and it includes this line to perform the actual delete:

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord

I am getting a "No current record (error 3021)" error that occurs at this
line in my code ONLY when the record being deleted is the last one on the
form; it does not happen if I choose a record other than the bottom record.
It does delete the record, however. It happens on all forms that use this
command (and this is a routine I use on virtually every form). If I turn on
my record selectors & delete the record by selecting it and pressing the
"Delete" key on the keyboard, it deletes without the error.
This just started after my hard drive failed and I had to reinstall
Windows XP Pro and Office XP Pro. All Windows & Office updates have been
applied, however. I have Jet SP 4.0.8015. This occurs even after a
Compact/Repair and whether I convert this to Access 2000 or 2002.

G

The cursor is on the last record. In fact, I inserted a Msgbox to display the content of the current field on the line immediately preceding the acCmdDeleteRecord, and it correctly shows the current record & field content. When I move it to the line after the acCmdDeleteRecord, it is preempted by the error and never displays the Msgbox

When I try to delete a new record (bypassing my code that prevents this), I correctly get a 2046 error, which indicates that DeleteRecrod action is not currently available

The error occurs even if I select the record using the record selector and then use my programmatic delete button acCMdDeleteRecord in code); it does not occur if I use the Delete button on the keyboard

This was all working fine until I got a new hard drive, reinstalled the OS (Win XP Pro) & Office XP Pro with all current SP's. Now it happens for ALL forms that use this deletion method, so it is not a problem with a single control.

G

This is Access 2002, but the problem occurs whether the DB is saved in Access 2000 or Acess 2002 format. Is there a post-SP3 fix for this?

G

I just talked to MS tech support - this is a bug in SP3 that has not yet hit the knowledgebase. Their workaround was to trap the 3021 error & resume next (as if I didn't already knew that...). They were not sure if/when a hard fix would be issued.

Ask a Question