2 operating systems

This is a long one - i have a 80Gig hard drive that's been partitioned XP was
on C: and the other side was F: called storage. Some time ago I had a virus
or something that I couldn't get rid of, so I ended up reinstalling windows
XP - when I start the computer now it gives me 2 operating systems which has
been fine.All it means is that you select which operating system you want to
use at start up.
This has worked well for quite a while until I ran registry cleaner, which
raised some issues which I deleted (registry cleaner comes with a restore
feature so I thought if i deleted something I shouldn't I could get it back)
After these deletions my antivirus program would not longer work, so I when
back to the restore feature and restored - with one major problem - I
restored to a date which was October 05 and not october 06.
Now when I start the system and choose the operating system, it's seems to
have restored to a time before that system even exsisted so it just gives me
a windows screen and nothing else, I've tried Ctrl, Alt,Del nothing works.
I have managed to start the system on the original operating system and
found the antivirus, ran it and cleaned whatever was wrong with it , so I can
get into the computer, but I've lost my Daughters college coursework which is
still in there I think, I hope.
I'm sorry that this so long but I thought that I'd give as much information
as possible.
Can anybody help?
A month ago I purchased Winantivirus (I must add I also have registry cleaner)

Galen

In I only call when I want something had this to say:

[...]

And this is why I don't recommend using registry cleaners...

*sighs*

Let's see what we CAN get to - are you still getting the chance to boot into
the second OS when you start your PC?

Can you at least SEE the other OS from the first one - as in navigate to the
files on it so that you can retrieve the school work?

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/ http://kgiii.info/

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward." - Sherlock Holmes

What a mess.

Which is why I keep a backup PLUS a copy of data of "My Documents", so I can
always recover data, either restoring the entire disk, restoring part of it
or copy some files or directories.

If the college course is important enough, there's "data recovery services"
that you can find doing a little googling. Years back, I was the IT guy at
some company in NYC, the HD was messed up, and another employee took the
drive to CT, recovered the data professionally, and got back in less than a
day. Sometimes, time is money and I could of spent days figuring the cause.
Could've taken us days to figure out a "free" way of recovering the data.

Ron Sommer

Where did the reinstall put the Windows files?
Did the second system install to F: ?
Did you reinstall software also?

Do you know if the coursework is Word files?
If you can locate the files, you may need to take ownership of the files.
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

You may need to backup your data and do a clean install of XP.
--
Ronald Sommer

"I only call when I want something" <I only call when I want

Galen said:
In I only call when I want something had this to say:

And this is why I don't recommend using registry cleaners...

*sighs*

Let's see what we CAN get to - are you still getting the chance to boot into
the second OS when you start your PC?

Can you at least SEE the other OS from the first one - as in navigate to the
files on it so that you can retrieve the school work?

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/ http://kgiii.info/

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward." - Sherlock Holmes

Thanks Galen answers to your questions below.

Q1 Yes , when I boot the system, it stops with an choice of2 OS's both names
are the same, it then starts a countdown of 30 seconds by which time it
defaults to the first option OS. If I go on this system it give me my
wallpaper and nothing else, not even a start menu option, I then have to
reboot and use the other OS.
Q2 I should tell you this, the original OS had the following
winxp (C:)
Storage (F):
this was the way the partition was set up
when I had to re install XP I put the new version on the storage (F): drive,
now this is the bit where I struggle to remember, I think the it set up a
drive called winxp (D):.
I can remember going into explorer and seeing the old system and not being
able to get to any email or excel, word etc files, but now I reverted back to
winxp (C): it doesn't show (D): drive as anything other than a CD drive.
hope this help to help me
regards

Ron, answer to you questions below.

I installed the second XP on the partition called storage (F:)
I think I also re installed office (word excel etc)
I did manages to copy some stuff from C:
The coursework is on Word, I'll keep trying to located it and look at your
suggested link.
Thanks for the advise

[...]

Alright...

Pick the system that you only get the wallpaper on... Go to it.

Missing Icons and Taskbar:
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/missing_desktop-icons_taskbar.html