100-year-old photos found in antique camera

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
A local photographer got more than he bargained for when he bought an antique camera unknowingly loaded with vintage photographs of the World War I era.

Anton Orlov – an analog photographer who lives in the University City area in San Diego – recently purchased a 1901 Bellini Jumelle photo camera at an antique shop near Los Angeles.

1B5511687-130113-oldpix-bcol1.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

Orlov says he spent $100 on the vintage gem, but what he found inside was practically priceless.
The photographer brought the camera home and spent hours cleaning it. Then, he decided to look inside.
There, Orlov discovered a series of eight photographs, already developed, taken on the camera more than 100 years ago.

link:, ~ http://www.today.com/tech/100-year-old-photos-found-antique-camera-1B7955167

{ mentions 8 photos, but only 4 are shown,, }

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wonderful find. :)

Bet he got quite a shock when he looked inside.

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
i would be delighted if something like that happened to me :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh how absolutely superb, what a wonderful find..He must have been elated when he opened the camera and found the prints inside! :bow:

Reaction score
:DOOps posted this in the wrong thread:blush:

The second black and white is of a derelict Focker DR3 airplane and the soldiers in all three seem to be French. I would suggest they were taken after WW1 in about 1918/19 during the cleanup after the conflict, but obviously I could be wrong except the aircraft as there was only one 3 winged fighter aircraft in WW1 and it was the German DR3

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Fantastic find.I wonder why they were developed and then placed back in the camera ?
breakfast.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Fantastic find.I wonder why they were developed and then placed back in the camera ?
breakfast.gif

I was thinking about the same why developed photos inside camera? Nonetheless a great find :thumb:
Perhaps the photographer felt his camera interior would be the best place (when not in use, of course) for preserving his photos and keeping them safe from fading, etc.

They are certainly remarkably sharp and clear. What an exciting find for the purchaser - and very interesting for the rest of us :thumb:

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
Perhaps the photographer felt his camera interior would be the best place (when not in use, of course) for preserving his photos and keeping them safe from fading, etc.
i am going w/that idea : )

Ask a Question