ZoneAlarm ver 5 problems

Richard

Ken Blake said:
In

Same here.

If the following conditions apply you probably do have a problem with Zone
alarm 5 you just have not run into it yet.

You are running Windows XP with SP1. Zone Alarm 5 loads at start up .You
schedule CHKDSK to run in fix mode.

On re-boot windows reports that the drive could not be locked and CHKDSK was
not run. Unless you clear the scheduled check the error will recur at each
re-start.

Easiest cure is to revert to ZA 4.5 and all will be back to normal.

See Zone Alarm site FAQs and notice boards for lots more info.

Richard.

Richard.

Jerry

ZoneAlarm has never been a problem here till this lousy version 5 came out.
Now it's terrible and I'm not recomending it.

Babel17

ZoneAlarm5 MAY be interfering with the Fax Monitor in Microsoft Fax.

Please see related posts in this section.

Jerry said:
ZoneAlarm has never been a problem here till this lousy version 5 came out.
Now it's terrible and I'm not recomending it.

Paul J. Hurley

I've been using ZA for years with good results, but version 5 causes
frequent system lockups requiring use of the reset button. I've had to
revert to version 4.

Jim Macklin

No problem here or with the systems I help setup.

message | I've been using ZA for years with good results, but

B@stard :-\)"

| >See here
http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst for
the
| >multitude of problems people are having with the new
ZoneAlarm version!

| ----
| Paul Hurley
| Caliban Computing
| http://www.Caliban.com/
| Spam resistant return email address.

Richard

Jim Macklin said:
No problem here or with the systems I help setup.

Jim ,if these systems are Win XP SP1 and we are talking about ZA V5. I
suggest for your own peace of mind you run CHKDSK /F to check and fix some
of the system drives. If the checking procedure run properly you may be the
exception to prove the rule.

Richard.

gmrad

Richard was the one who answered on my problem with autochk.exe not found. I
am not so good in English to understand your irony (if it is there) about
runnind CHKDSK /F or /R as Tom suggested. Does it worth doing with my
problem?

Jim Macklin

I ran the program, what "unusual" thing was supposed to
happen?

| Richard was the one who answered on my problem with
autochk.exe not found. I
| am not so good in English to understand your irony (if it
is there) about
| runnind CHKDSK /F or /R as Tom suggested. Does it worth
doing with my
| problem?

message

wrote in message

| > Jim ,if these systems are Win XP SP1 and we are talking
about ZA V5. I
| > suggest for your own peace of mind you run CHKDSK /F to
check and fix some
| > of the system drives. If the checking procedure run
properly you may be
| the
| > exception to prove the rule.
| >
| > Richard.

Richard

Well if you had configured zone Alarm to run at start up CHKDSK would have
failed. This is what many users of Zone Alarm 5, including myself, have
found. So what magic trick have you put in place so that you have no
problems. I would certainly like to know and it could even help out Zone
Alarm to stave off the many complaints that have arisen.

Richard.

J&P

No magic trick is required, Richard. I, too, have ZA configured to run at
startup and, after using CHKDSK /F command and restarting, CHKDSK ran its
100% course. I just had to manually start ZA on the first startup but this
may have been because I didn't respond to some message about "ZA is waiting
for True Vector .....".

Regards,
Joe Steele

Richard said:
Well if you had configured zone Alarm to run at start up CHKDSK would have
failed. This is what many users of Zone Alarm 5, including myself, have
found. So what magic trick have you put in place so that you have no
problems. I would certainly like to know and it could even help out Zone
Alarm to stave off the many complaints that have arisen.

Richard.

..

wrote in message

| > Jim ,if these systems are Win XP SP1 and we are talking
about ZA V5. I
| > suggest for your own peace of mind you run CHKDSK /F to
check and fix some
| > of the system drives. If the checking procedure run
properly you may be
| the
| > exception to prove the rule.
| >
| > Richard.

Richard

J&P said:
No magic trick is required, Richard. I, too, have ZA configured to run at
startup and, after using CHKDSK /F command and restarting, CHKDSK ran its
100% course. I just had to manually start ZA on the first startup but this
may have been because I didn't respond to some message about "ZA is waiting
for True Vector .....".

Regards,
Joe Steele
This convinces me that you have managed to do something different to the
start sequence. True Vector is the part of ZA 5 that loads first. It also
has the annoying trait of getting in the way of the CHKDSK process which
requires exclusive access to the HDD. Somehow you have managed to circumvent
this and CHKDSK loads first. This must be related to your report of the True
Vector message which I have not experienced.

I have been content to uninstall ZA5 and run with version4.5 and have had no
further problems. You on the other hand find no problems with version 5. At
least if any problems do surface you will have been alerted to an area of
possible weakness.

Richard.