    thanks
    --
    Boris

    BorisS, May 26, 2009

  2. Your terms are very vague. I have no idea to what "dialogue box" you are
    referring. You should always parse address elements yourself if you expect
    Outlook to handle them correctly.
    How addresses display in documents is a Word function, not an Outlook
    function.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], May 26, 2009

  3. BorisS

    BorisS Guest

    Sorry for using 'dialogue' where maybe I should have used 'form'. There is
    the standard OL contact form. Where you have address, you can press the
    button with the word 'Business', 'Home', 'Other' (depending on which is the
    default to show in the Contact interface). That brings up a sub-form called
    "Check address". So to your point, we very much are concerned with best
    practice of parsing out information. But the OL interface (the main Contact
    form) is not consistently showing us one or two spaces between State and Zip
    (even though we have made sure that in the individual fields in the sub-form,
    there are no extra spaces in any field, neither before nor after the field
    value.

    Does that help with getting some resolution to the problem?
    --
    Boris

    BorisS, Jun 8, 2009
  4. Not much clearer. Where is the address not displaying the way you think it
    should? In what view? How a mail address displays on your computer screen
    would be of no consequence. How it displays in a document would, and that is
    controlled in Word.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jun 8, 2009
  5. BorisS

    BorisS Guest

    Okay, will try once more, because I'm not sure what the right terms are. In
    OL, I go to a contact and open it, to see the standard form. I see the
    address, and I can place a cursor between State and Zip, and count two
    spaces. Sometimes, I can cound one space. In both cases, I have then
    clicked on the button next to the address (the one that has the label of
    which address it is - Home, Business, Other). This brings up a form/dialogue
    (whatever it's called) which has a title of "Check Address". In the State
    field, there are only letters (no spaces). In the Zip field, there are only
    numbers (no spaces). The question...why is OL arbitrarily showing me one or
    two spaces between State and Zip, when I see it in the standard form? I ask
    this for a very specific reason, which is that we've had issues in the past
    where mail merges come out not uniformly, and I am trying to figure out what
    the driver of the problem is. I have verified it's not my data entry,
    because if it was, I would see spaces in the fields that make up the address,
    and I don't see them.

    Hope that clarifies. If you walk through the steps I'm mentioning, unless
    my OL acts completely differently than yours, you should see the forms to
    which I'm referring.

    Thanks.

    BorisS, Jun 8, 2009
  6. Already answered. As long as you are parsing the address elements directly
    into their respective fields, the mail merge will behave exactly as you
    construct it. You must also use the individual address elements to construct
    the merge (never an "address block"). If you have evidence that a mail merge
    is not behaving exactly as you constructed it, post that evidence to Word's
    mail merge group.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jun 8, 2009
  7. BorisS

    BorisS Guest

    So if I'm understanding correctly, the address block that is shown in
    Outlook, you're saying is controlled by Word. Correct?

    BorisS, Jun 15, 2009
  8. Not at all. The address block that is displayed in Outlook is irrelevant
    since it never appears on a document. What appears on a document is
    controlled by Word.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jun 15, 2009