"Z" and XP - no compatibility

Basileus Phil

I used to love the Bitmap brothers "Z" game. Their follow up, Z2 - steel
soldiers, in garbage in comparison. But Bitmap brothers have made no effort
whatsoever to bring out a patch to allow poor XP home users like me to
continue playing their great ORIGINAL Z. Does anyone, anywhere have a fix
for this ? Thanks, Phil.

Jimmy S.

Hi Phil,

It sounds like the ORIGINAL Z was originally a DOS game.

When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html .

With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php

If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two of the best
tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
and: http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm :)

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

| I used to love the Bitmap brothers "Z" game. Their follow up, Z2 - steel
| soldiers, in garbage in comparison. But Bitmap brothers have made no effort
| whatsoever to bring out a patch to allow poor XP home users like me to
| continue playing their great ORIGINAL Z. Does anyone, anywhere have a fix
| for this ? Thanks, Phil.

Jimmy S.

Hi Phil,

Give their own troubleshooter a try:
http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/support/z/trouble-shooting.htm
they've included some contact information at the bottom as well. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

| Thanks a ton for the help, Jim. So far no luck, though ! ;-) Phil
|

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Phil,
| >
| > It sounds like the ORIGINAL Z was originally a DOS game.
| >
| > When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
| > bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html .
| >
| > With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
| > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php
| >
| > If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two of the best
| > tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
| > and: http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers,
| > Jimmy S.
| >
| > Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite:
| http://nibblesnbits.tk
| > Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
| > Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | soldiers, in garbage in comparison. But Bitmap brothers have made no
| effort
| > | whatsoever to bring out a patch to allow poor XP home users like me to
| > | continue playing their great ORIGINAL Z. Does anyone, anywhere have a
| fix
| > | for this ? Thanks, Phil.
| > |
| > |

Basileus Phil

Thanks Jim, but I remember contacting that a year ago, and to say the least,
they are not too bothered about a keeping Z up and running. No effort has
been made. They answered, but informed me they had no intention of bringing
Z up to speed, which annoyed me a lot, and certainly put me off buying any
of their future products.

Jimmy S. said:
Hi Phil,

Give their own troubleshooter a try:
http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/support/z/trouble-shooting.htm
they've included some contact information at the bottom as well. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

| Thanks a ton for the help, Jim. So far no luck, though ! ;-) Phil
|

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Phil,
| >
| > It sounds like the ORIGINAL Z was originally a DOS game.
| >
| > When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
| > bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html .
| >
| > With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
| > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php
| >
| > If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two of the best
| > tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
| > and: http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers,
| > Jimmy S.
| >
| > Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite:
| http://nibblesnbits.tk
| > Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
| > Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | soldiers, in garbage in comparison. But Bitmap brothers have made no
| effort
| > | whatsoever to bring out a patch to allow poor XP home users like me to
| > | continue playing their great ORIGINAL Z. Does anyone, anywhere have a
| fix
| > | for this ? Thanks, Phil.
| > |
| > |

EGMcCann

Basileus Phil said:
Thanks Jim, but I remember contacting that a year ago, and to say the least,
they are not too bothered about a keeping Z up and running. No effort has
been made. They answered, but informed me they had no intention of bringing
Z up to speed, which annoyed me a lot, and certainly put me off buying any
of their future products.

Why? The game's old, it's not making them any money, it's not sold any more,
why would they dump money and time into bringing it "up to speed?" (Yeah, I
remember the game. Returned it since I didn't feel like having a game
swearing at me after a long day at work.)