    I have tried top open the record in question and then save, but I
    still get this error. How can I resolve this, if possible?

    Thanks, Brooks

    Brooks, Nov 25, 2007

  2. Re: You must first enter a valid email address for this contact before Outlook can send mail to it

    Have you checked to see that you mapped your fields correctly and that the
    email field for these Contacts contain a valid, resolved electronic address?
    That error message tells you they do not.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Nov 25, 2007

  3. Brooks

    Brooks Guest

    Re: You must first enter a valid email address for this contactbefore Outlook can send mail to it

    Russ:

    I figured out a work around, the field indeed mapped to the email
    address field.

    What I have done that seems to resolve my issue is the following:

    Open a contact.

    Double click into the actual email address, which opens the email
    properties.

    I change or modify the internet format field, even just adjust it to
    the default choice of "Let outlook decide the best sending format"

    select OK.

    Then the right click command for sending a new message to the contact
    works like a charm. When they imported, the name must not be
    associated with the email address.

    Regards,
    Brooks

    Brooks, Nov 25, 2007
  4. Re: You must first enter a valid email address for this contact before Outlook can send mail to it

    Importing never resolves the addresses. That was your problem.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Nov 26, 2007
  5. Brooks

    Meg84 Guest

    Re: You must first enter a valid email address for this contact be

    I am getting the same error from outlook. I have imported over 600 contacts
    as I work for an organization with many members and cringe at the thought of
    having to manually open each one and change email settings for this feature
    to work. There must be a solution that can be applied en mass. Does anyone
    have an answer?

    Meg84, Feb 20, 2008
  6. Brooks

    upc_head

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Resolution to issue mailing contacts imported from CSV

    Hello

    I was in the same boat with over 900 contacts to correct the issue in.

    I could not find a workaround to process the email addresses, but i did know that opening a contact, adding a space to the email address, removing it, and then saving the contact would fix the issue for that contact.

    So that's enter, tab 7 times, space, backspace, Control -S to save, and close the window, and down to the next record.

    I just needed to do that 900+ times.

    Enter: Autohotkey, the universal macro writing program.

    http://www.autohotkey.com/

    I installed the program, read up on the syntax and wrote a script.

    ^!o::
    Loop 900 (or however many contacts are in the folder)
    {
    Send {enter}{tab 7}{Space}{Backspace}^s{Alt Down}{F4}{Alt Up}{Down}
    }

    And saved and compiled it.

    The first line says run this when you press CTRL-ALT-O.
    So I ran the macro writer, opened outook, went to the contact window, changed to mailing list view, and pressed CTRL-ALT-O.

    The macro went through and took about 3 minutes to process all of the contacts.

    -Noah

    upc_head, Aug 12, 2010
  7. Brooks

    IT_Juggler

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    This was a bit easier

    One of my users had over 2000 contacts, most of which were imported from a csv file. (All from the csv file exhibited the symptoms exactly as described above.) I exported the entire contacts folder to Excel, created a new contacts folder and imported from the Excel file.

    That worked great, so I deleted the original contacts folder (it was a subfolder anyway) and renamed the new folder the same as the old one.

    Hope this helps someone.

    - Eric

    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
    IT_Juggler, Aug 20, 2010
  8. Brooks

    Keroak

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I solved the problem this way:

    I imported again my data from Excel but this time, i spread the field "e-mail" and associated my e-mail data with "e-mail address" instead of just "e-mail".

    Now it works ;)

    Keroak, Nov 16, 2011