yet another "no audio device" thread, sorry

Mark C. Andersen

Recently I installed a new Intel DG31PR motherboard with Realtek
high-definition audio in my wife's computer. I have not yet been able to get
the sound to work properly. I'm running Windows XP Professional with Service
Pack 2. I initially contacted Intel product support; they told me to update
the BIOS and the chipset drivers, then try again to install the audio
drivers. I did this, and was still unable to install the audio drivers. I
tried installing the audio drivers from the driver CD that came with the
motherboard, from the Intel website, and from the Realtek website. None of
them worked, although they all seemed to fail in different ways. In
particular, when I let Windows try to install the audio drivers itself, via
the Found New Hardware Wizard, I got an error message saying that the device
could not be installed because its coinstaller was invalid. After several
more unsuccessful attempts to install the Realtek Audio Drivers, I downloaded
WDM_R190 from the Realtek website, and installation completed successfully.
"Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" shows up properly in Device
Manager, and "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel shows the Realtek High
Definition Audio Driver as being installed with a file size of 49.18 MB,
version 5.10.0.5591.

However, the sound is still not working. When I open up "Sounds and Audio
Devices" in Control Panel, the message at the top of the Volume tab says "No
Audio Device." The "Audio" tab shows no playback, recording, or MIDI playback
devices as being available. Under the "Hardware" tab, it lists the CD player,
high definition audio device, audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, media
control devices, legacy video capture devices, and video codecs as all
working properly. In addition, there is an "Unknown" device, whose status is
shown as "This device is disabled. (Code 22)" The same unknown device is
listed in Device Manager as well. If I try to uninstall the unknown device, I
get an error message saying "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may
be required to boot up the computer." If I enable the device, the "Found New
Hardware" wizard starts up and tries to install software for a device called
MEDIA. If I let it try to install this MEDIA device automatically, the
installation fails because the wizard is unable to find the necessary
software. If I try to install from a list or specific location, Windows still
cannot find the necessary software for MEDIA. The wizard will not allow me to
select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." I'm open to any
suggestions at this point on how to get the audio to work.

Patrick Keenan

Mark C. Andersen said:
[...]

Try going into Device Manager and uninstalling all of the audio and
media-related items. Then, shut down.

Disconnect the power, Open the case, remove the battery and clear the CMOS.
If you can't find the CMOS CLEAR jumper (the link below IIRC has a tab for
documentation) leave the battery out for a couple of hours. Put the
battery back in, put it all back together, and restart. The system will
redetect hardware.

Reinstall the drivers starting at the lowest level you can find, and adding
higher layers.

As you probably know drivers can be found here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2839

If that doesn't work, try running the Belarc free system audit. Its
detection may give you clues as to why the drivers aren't working - it may
list different hardware.

HTH
-pk

samspade1953

Same problem different software. I ended up uninstalling the drivers for the
new hardware and reconnecting the windows audio. Then I looked at the
resource guide to see if there was REALLY NOT A CONFLICT with the I/O or IRQ
something had to be there. i have a 160ghd and 2gRAM. I am in the process of
trying to fix it now. I was looking for a WMP plug-in that solves it??????

Mark C. Andersen

By clearing the CMOS, will I lose access to other installed devices as well?
My wife has spent about a day and a half getting her plotter to play nice
with AutoCad, and I'd hate to lose all that work.

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

Mark C. Andersen

Tried that already; in the interest of thoroughness, I just tried it again.
No effect.

Brian A.

Clearing the CMOS resets the BIOS to their default settings. You shouldn't
lose any functionality with other devices unless you changed any settings in the
BIOS in order to get a certain device working properly. If you haven't changed
any settings then clearing the CMOS most likely will not help since the BIOS
settings are most likely the default settings.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Windows Desktop User Experience }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Brian A.

Boot to Safe Mode > Device Manager.
Expand "Sound, Game and Video Controllers".
Uninstall Any/All devices listed. If it complains about the device being in
use, continue on with uninstalling the device. It's a 50/50 shot that the
device will be uninstalled successfully even if it is reported as in use, some
will and some won't.
Uninstall the Unknown device.
When uninstalling any/all devices listed under "Sound, Game and Video
Controllers" and the Unknown device, close out of DM back to the desktop.
Open either MyComputer or Explorer.

Delete the contents of:

c:\documents and settings\your username folder\local settings\temp

c:\windows\temp

c:\prefetch

Close out of MyComputer or Explorer and reboot.

Windows should redetect/reinstall the devices. If you have the option to stop
Windows from reinstalling the audio device(s), do so and install the drivers
from either the provided Intel disk or file(s) downloaded from a support site.
From what I've read on the Intel site for your audio, the latest driver version
for your board is 5548 and they suggest canceling Windows
detection/installation.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/13314/ENG/AUD_allOS_5548_PV_Readme.txt

Intel drivers for the DG31PR can be obtained here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

or if the link wraps/breaks: http://tinyurl.com/2f46rf

You may need to install the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility in
order to get the devices properly working. Read the instructions included with
the downloads to properly install them as suggested by Intel.

Intel audio troubleshooting page:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020642.htm

If still no joy after completing the above, see if any of this helps:

How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314464/en-us

Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310126/

Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
(Also applies to XP Pro x64 and XP Home)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

How to manage devices in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658/en-us

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Windows Desktop User Experience }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

RealTek HD audio devices when configured properly places an orange colored
speaker icon in the systray, do you have that icon? Also make sure the sound
card is seated properly in the slot.

Brian A.

When does the audio icon turn orange? How long does it take after proper
installation and configuration? They're all still the same gray color on all of
the machines I work on.

Please re-read the OP's posts, AFAICT nothing points to an add-on
card/adapter.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Windows Desktop User Experience }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

Yes you are right I mis-read it. The icon is orange continuously after the
drivers are installed unless there is a conflict. That is the only time I
have seen it grey.

Mark C. Andersen

None of this has helped much. Device Manager won't let me uninstall the
unknown device, even when logged in as Administrator in Safe Mode. Taking the
CMOS battery out and resetting CMOS didn't help.
I've disabled the unknown device, and now at least it doesn't try to install
every time I boot up. However, I still don't have a working audio device, and
have never had the speaker icon show up at the right side of the bottom bar
(System Tray?).
Maybe I should just get an external sound card.

Brian A.

Have you tried uninstalling the unknown device now that it's disabled?

See if you can get info on the device in SysInfo:
Click "Start" > "Run", type in: msinfo32 and press Enter or click OK.
Expand "Components" and click on "Problem Devices".

Other avenues not mentioned
In DM > Unknown, double click the device to open its properties.
Click on the Resources tab.
Click on each resource listed in the Resource Settings pane and look in the
Conflicting Devices pane to see if any resources conflict.
or
Reboot to the BIOS.
Check if the Audio is Enabled, if not enable it, save/exit and reboot.
Check if PnP is enabled, if not enable it, save/exit and reboot. If it's
enabled, disable it, save/exit and reboot. If disabling it doesn't bring joy,
reboot to the BIOS and re-enable PnP, save/exit and reboot.
Once rebooted to the desktop, open Device Manager.
On the Menu bar click "View" > "Devices by Connection".
Expand "ACPI Multiprocessor" > "MS ACPI Compliant Sys" > "PCI Bus".
If anything shows as being "Standard", go to the link I provided previously and
download/install the Intel Chipset Software Utility per Intel's instructions.

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Windows Desktop User Experience }
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Brian.Sesko

http://basconotw.mvps.org/

What is an MS MVP?

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

Have you checked in add/remove programs for the existence of security update
kb935448? Check add/remove programs in the control panel to see if it is
there, You have to check the "Show Updates" box at the top of the add/remove
window. If you see it then remove it.

Frank Pajerski

possibly related ....

I built a new computer last fall with an Intel DP35DP mobo whose audio
subsystem consists of the ICH9R I/O controller hub, IDT STAC9271D audio
codec, etc.

Installed Vista Home Premium with no audio problems. Then (because Vista
was too annoying) installed WinXP-SP2 Home and all current maintenance. The
audio driver would not install because no audio controller hardware was seen
(and I don't see any audio h/w via Device Manager, BelArc, Everest etc.
utilities). A week of exchanging emails with Intel tech support
frustratingly showed no progress, so I solved this problem with a $30 sound
card.

In searching various tech forums at that time for info/help, I saw a number
of threads relating to "no audio" on new Intel mobos with WinXP in use ...
but no solutions. Is this thread yet another example of a general Intel
audio problem involving their latest chipsets and WinXP??

--- Frank

lorraine

[...]

Hello I had exactly the same problem.. I had just reinstalled windows
xp professional.. and found that my audio devices wouldnt work.. all
greyd out in the sounds and audio device properties. I tried a number
of things.. going into the bios.. installing device drivers, and found
that this wouldnt work. I wanted to get i-tunes up and running and
was well fed up that i couldnt... ANYWAY THIS IS WHAT I DID.... I WENT
INTO SAFE MODE.. THEN I SEARCHED FOR ALL THE DRIVERS BY JUST TYPING IN
DRIVERS IN THE SEARCH CRITERIA.... I OPENED UP THE DRIVERS FOLDER AND
LOOKED FOR AUDIO DRIVER.. DOUBLE CLICKED IT AND WENT THROUGH THE
DRIVER INSTALLATION.. I HAD TO RESTART MY PC... BUT GREAT IT WORKED...
HOPE THIS HELPS SOEMONE.. LORRAINE ICT TECH.

Erik

Heya Mark,

Try this; goto Control Panel, click on Adminstrative Tools, click on
Services and stroll down and look for Windows Audio. If its says stopped or
is blank where it should say started, then double click it and click started.
Everything should then work