XP2200 in my motherboard

Reaction score
before I got my new XP2200 today, I rang up the local PC shop where I got it from and asked the guy if this CPU would fit into my motherboard. The man said yes, but only if I upgrade my current BIOS, I did not know how to upgrade my BIOS so i asked my mate who talked through it with me on the phone.

So updated the BIOS and it was a succes, my BIOS version went from B01 to B05 obiviously a bit more recent. So my XP1800 is working fine in there etc.......I shut down the pc go and get my new xp2200 and ptut it into the pc. what happens? Nothng at all, I dont even get to bios not even any BEEPS. So i put back in my xp1800 and it works fine!

So im panicking I go and try the xp2200 in another machine......... and it works! So my xp2200 isnt damaged its actually working.
But could anyone have any theories, why the XP2200 would not work in my other pc?

Both have the same local rubbish motherboard except that the second talked about pc has got a little bit better bios, i beleive.

Do you need the CPU to actually work to get into BIOS? Because when i rang the bloke he gives it that an without a bios upgrade an xp2200 will work but it will say 'unknown cpu type' I just didnt get any output at all on the screen!

I have a copper flower cpu fan its very big i cant rmemeber the manutacures name but ull all know it. im very sure it can support all athlon XP's as it says that on the packet!

okay at the moment all is jolly but id like your thoughts as to why the xp2200 cpu woulndt work on one of my machines

thanks
psd99

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
are you sure the motherboards are compatible?

yes they r both the same except the bios i think

the xp2200 works in one machine but not in the other not even POST!

Reaction score
whats the make and model of the mobo?

i would try installing the 2200 CPU then before booting reset the CMOS using the mobo's reset jumper then boot the machine, should work as long as the CPU is defo supported by the mobo.

let us know how you get on.

J

ps, if you supply details like mobo make and model i could investigate further, it's quite possible there is a bug in the latest bios update for your board, etc.

Reaction score
its by a company called lex and bona tech.

the motherboard name is BN790TM, and i also have a BN790E , which is the one where xp2200 fits

I didnt try to reset cmos maybe i will next time.
thanks

Reaction score
just thought abt this resetting cmos thing

if i reset cmos my cpu fan will present me with these beeps. because when u reset the bios there is a setting in the bio which will revert back to enabled. its the 'detect cpu fan in post' i have disabled this. if this is enabled my cpu fan will not work, which will mean i will have to take out that cpu fan put in another one and change this setting in the bios. then put back in the new fan and new cpu together!

but the biggest problem is to take out my cpu fan at the minute i would have to go UNDERNEATH the motherboard to unscrew the clips.

are u really sure resetting the cmos will help? if you are very sure maybe it is worth the try.
i really cant see how this would help me.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Normally the 'enable CPU fan warning' is set as disabled.

Does your current fan not connect to the motherboard cpu fan header? Is it a 4 pin molex connector?

If you have a spare fan with a 3 pin connection and monitoring facility, you can plug that into the fan header temporarily just to POST, then you can access Bios.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Normally the 'enable CPU fan warning' is set as disabled.

Does your current fan not connect to the motherboard cpu fan header? Is it a 4 pin molex connector?

If you have a spare fan with a 3 pin connection and monitoring facility, you can plug that into the fan header temporarily just to POST, then you can access Bios.

the current fan does connect yes its been working fine for 3 months, are u sure the 'enable cpu fan' is set to disabled? cuz in my other bios it is enabled and i didnt change it.

the biggest problem is if i am to take out this fan i will have to go underneath the motherboard unscrew the brackets.

So if i wanted xp2200 to work im looking at resetting the bios removing the copper flower cpu fan by going underneath the motherboard, then putting in my xp1800 then put on the coolermaster fan, to get into bios to disable the 'detect cpu fan' then put in xp2200 go underneath the motherboard put the brackets back in place to allow me to install the fan which i have today.

Does that make sense?

But im only prepared to do this providing that we are 100% sure that resetting the BIOS will allow me to allow xp2200 to work on my system!

so heres the final thought, i didnt get any beeps i didnt get any post. if my motherboard dont support xp2200 i would have least got post and i believe that it would have said 'unknown cpu type'
that id take rite now but gettin no post is v v much confusing me!

Reaction score
also

i updated my bios yesterday, doesnt this mean its reset cmos? confusing!
at the minute xp1800 is running on it and i can acess bios and windows etc

hope this helps everyone build an understanding of the problem involved!
ive never been good at explaining in detail its a skill i dont have!

Ask a Question