xp wont display a hardware driver, and both work

G

I have a cd burner and a dvd player, the burner was in my E drive, when I installed the dvd player it went to my F drive. In device management, it shows the dvd player, and i played a dvd and it works, but it wouldnt show me the device icon in my computer, for easy access......so I switched the drivers for them..so now instead of the dvd player being a slave in F drive it is in the E drive as a master, and the cd burner is a slave in the F, when I did that..again device manager sees both, but this time it again only reads the E drive, and now there is no device display icon in my computer for cd burner, so only reads the E drive and not the F drive, wondering why? and how could i fix that, without having to reinstall xp with sp1

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. On the following screen,
click on Disk Management. ALL drives (hard drives, optical drives etc) will
now appear on the right hand side of the screen.

You can assign or re-assign drive letters here.

G

actually i was in the display manager, i even uninstalled them..i went to driver details..and what is puzzling is ...says the cd burner is in location 1 and the dvd player is location 0....but the dvd player is the master it has a display driver in my computers, the burner doesnt....so shouldnt the dvd be location one since it is the master?

G

ok..its alright now..i found the problem myself...i went into the bios, and both my master and slave were set to the cd burner, which was changed earlier, but guess it didnt stick..so i went back in..and changed it again...but the icon in my computer still wouldnt show, I do have a program called tune up utility 2004, so i went in there, and went to where it has a whole list of drivers..since i didnt have every driver on that list, i made it select the ones i do have, which i didnt get the dvd player until wednesday night, so i went in there, and the f was not checked off, so i did that, then went to my computer, and hit refresh, and it showed up....but thank you for your reply

Ask a Question