    in other Windows support sites to turn off the XP firewall
    which I had enabled when I installed. Does anyone have
    any other suggestions or insight? Thanks.

    James, Sep 3, 2003

  2. James

    Daniel Guest

    Quote from "Windows XP Inside Out eBook, Chapter 32
    Remote Access Options":

    Other Internet services stop working when you make a VPN
    connection.
    When you make a VPN connection, you might find that you
    can no longer browse the Internet using Internet
    Explorer, hold conversations using Windows Messenger, or
    use other applications that access the Internet. This
    occurs when the VPN connection is configured to use the
    default gateway on the remote network for Internet
    access. When you make a VPN connection, Windows adds to
    the IP routing table a new default route that uses the
    connection to the VPN server. That new route is assigned
    the lowest metric, which means that it's used in place of
    your original default route-and therefore prevents access
    to some locations. Although this is a useful feature when
    you connect to some corporate networks, it's generally of
    little use when you're connecting to a single computer or
    a small workgroup.

    To fix the problem, follow these steps:

    In Control Panel open Network Connections, right-click
    the VPN connection, and choose Properties.
    Click the Networking tab, select Internet Protocol
    (TCP/IP), and click Properties.
    In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box,
    click Advanced.
    On the General tab of the Advanced TCP/IP Settings dialog
    box, clear the Use Default Gateway On Remote Network
    check box.
    You should then be able to use other Internet
    applications while your VPN connection is active.

    Daniel, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Daniel's answer would be correct if you were using the Microsoft VPN client
    software, and if the setting he cites weren't restricted by group policy.

    Because of the security risk, many VPN clients restrict you in the way you
    are experiencing. If you don't see a setting like the one Daniel mentions
    ("split tunnel" is another term for this) in the configuration for your VPN
    client, you'd need to ask your network support staff about whether this is
    permitted in your environment.

    Bill Sanderson, Sep 4, 2003