Windows Vista XP & Vista Dual Boot.

Reaction score
Just got my 'Free' Vista Business Upgrade Disc, but can i fool my Laptop so i can dual boot Windows XP & Vista Business using the method below?

This workaround allows users to perform a “clean install.” The process is a bit tedious, but is not hard at all to complete. Users have to perform these simple steps to perform a clean install of Vista without a previous version of Windows installed with an upgrade DVD:
  1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
  2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
  3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
  4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
  5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
  6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
  7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No, you can't use the "upgrade" DVD to dual-boot. :p

That workaround only allows you to do a nice "clean install" so you do not have crap left over from XP.

There is a way, if you have a spare HD or you make a new partition. ;)

:user:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
As I said, you can dual-boot, but it is best with a second HD than messing around with partitioning you existing drive.

What did the "upgrade advisor" say may not work, anything ?

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
As I said, you can dual-boot, but it is best with a second HD than messing around with partitioning you existing drive.

What did the "upgrade advisor" say may not work, anything ?

user.gif
Not a lot, But Toshiba have sent me a diagnostic cd with the vista business upgrade disc.
So that may help any problems.

Ask a Question