XP to Win7 Network Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by BillyUK, May 9, 2010.

  1. BillyUK

    BillyUK Guest

    I'm looking for some help.

    I have 2 PCs networked at home.

    Main PC is running Win7 64bit second is Running XP MCE 32bit.

    The problem is if I want to transfer files or folders from Win7 to shared
    folder on XP machine it will start and run for approx 1 second then stop and
    eventually times out :(

    If I then check the XP machine it will have created the folder and maybe
    started the first file but that's it.
    If I start from the XP machine and try to copy the same files/folders from
    Win7 to XP it works fine.

    So copying the same files/folders from Win7 to XP works if started from XP
    but wont if started from Win7.

    Any Ideas as I'm stumped ?

    P.S. tried with TG585 and DG834 routers and new LAN card

    --
    Slainte,

    Willie

    BillyUK, May 9, 2010

  2. Hi
    Win7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network, Win 7 has three types of
    Sharing configurations.
    Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
    configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
    sharing.
    Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
    you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
    Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
    risks.
    The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
    Win7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
    configuration, some menus locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
    and look a little different, but it should not be a problem to adapt.
    Firewall instructions.

    Win7 -
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...mputers-running-different-versions-of-Windows
    Win7 - Work Network with a little visual help),
    ,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windows7/windows7_sharing.htm
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
    the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], May 10, 2010

  3. BillyUK

    BillyUK Guest

    Thanks Jack

    Also changed encryption to 56 bit which seems to have worked :)

    Cheers
    Billy

    BillyUK, May 18, 2010