XP Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by Guest, Oct 30, 2004.

    Hello all. I am not a very advanced user of Windows XP , so , I figured
    someone in these forums might have an answer for me.

    I purchased a computer and Windows XP Home for my sister as a Christmas Gift
    last week.

    This is what I am wondering - is everyone familiar with installing XP for
    the first time on a hard drive, and, then when XP finally starts, it takes
    you through the steps of entering your user name, choosing a network
    connection and all of that ?

    I want my sister to see that information on christmas morning when she turns
    it on so it gives it the feel of a brand new computer that is being turned on
    for the very first time. I hope I am making sense.

    In other words, I will configure all of the drivers and needed software for
    her, then, set it so the next time it boots, it lets her customize it with
    her information. Is there a setting to do this ?

    I hope I posted this the correct way.

    Thanks in advance. Emails also welcome to

    Much Regards

    Gary Falzone

    Guest, Oct 30, 2004

    Mike Hall Guest

    Are you related to the Grinch?.. if this is her first computer, I am sure
    that she will be 'over the moon'.. having to go through the entire XP
    install come Christmas morning is not the way to bring smiles to faces..
    your time would be better spent making sure that it is working as well as it
    ever could.. perhaps buying her some software that she could install would
    be an idea..

    Mike Hall, Oct 31, 2004

    I suppose you are right......well...anyway, I have always wondered how they
    do that??? When you buy a new system, all drivers and software is installed
    and working properly, yet, they set it up so that the first time you turn it
    on, you get the welcome setup screen....can someone please let me know how to
    do this ????

    Gary

    Guest, Oct 31, 2004

    Gene K Guest

    I agree basically with Mike Hall. If she is brand new to computers, somebody
    (probably you) is going to have to hook it up. If you purchased a
    manufactured system from Dell, HP, Sony, Gateway, etc. with a pre-installed
    OEM version of XP, you probably will open up with that Set-up screen wanting
    a user name, establish a Network connection (have you arranged for an
    Internet connection for her), computer name, date and time, etc,. If you
    have bought a locally built system without an OS pre-installed and you are
    installing a retail version yourself, I think you can skip some of these
    steps and leave them to her. If you love her and are not unkind by nature,
    be right there beside her to answer questions or else the computer might
    wind up in a closet or stored in the garage. Be kind.
    Gene K

    Gene K, Oct 31, 2004