XP reboots when selecting shutdown with franklin planner software

G

Loaded franklin planner software 7.3.2. Able to hot sync thru com port 2. go to shut down, system reboots. Well, loaded their updates to bring up to version 8.1. Same issue, system still reboots when selecting shutdown.

Here is something I found in the event log labeled as file protection:

File replacement was attempted on the protected system file c:\windows\system32\ctl3d32.dll. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the bad file is 2.31.0.0, the version of the system file is 2.31.0.0.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I dont know what this means but I believe it to be associated with the install of franklin planner based on the time stamp on the message.

Note: I deinstalled the franklin planner software and I was able to shut down normally.

Any help is appreciated.

K

Kelly

Suggestion:

Copy and replace the existing Ctl3d32.dll file with a file from a computer
that does not display this behavior. Microsoft provides updated Ctl3d32.dll
files for updates to programs and operating systems.

The following is a URL to one updated version of Ctl3d32.dll contained in
the Microsoft Data Access Component (MDAC).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmdac/html/data_mdacinstall.asp

You can also locate Ctl3d32.dll by searching the Microsoft site using the
following URL.
http://search.microsoft.com/default.asp?siteid=us

G

Kelly,

Thanks for the reply. I found what caused my problems.

I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L board.

1. removed the sound card 4 yr old sound blaster card to use the onboard sound plus
2. cd rom was set to slave vs master.

3. Did 1 more fresh install of xp with no error messages installing(last 2 installs had an error which i cant remember).

4. loaded the franklin covey software (had franklin covey on the phone doing this)
5. the error i noted here did not appear but xp kept rebooting when shutting down. We were scratching our heads.

6. Later on in the evening I FIGURED out what the issue was:

Here is one more item to check when diagnosing windows xp shutdown problems:

If you have devices that require 2 way commications between the device and computer connected to the serial ports continue to read the suggested solution.

==> in the system bios, there is a ModemRingOn setting that was enabled. This allows an incoming call via modem to wake up the system from any suspended state. Well I put 2 and 2 together, the serial cable for this unit acts like a modem cable, the system sees this as an active modem, makes every attempt to stay awake thinking an incoming call is running. You go to shutdown, computer sees this call and reboots thinking it has to connect. I changed bios, and the computer shuts down now. Yeh!!!!!!!

Solution: set ModemRingOn to disable.

Attila

Ask a Question