XP PRO only allows one TCP/IP interface?

G

Im trying to find a way to have my 2 computers operate on 2 networks with only one NIC in each box. I want them to run a private network with IP's like "192.168.X.X" and then the Cable co's DHCP provided IP's. I dont want to use a router because the Cable co says they will only support 'computers' that are direct connect to their network. If I have a router they wont help if I have any problems like spam or anything like that. And they wont support the router. I can't use either of my computers as a firewall as neither of them are 'always on'

I am trying to use one of my machines as a dev server, so its running Linux (I know I know dont give me any grief.) Which set up in under a minute (The network settings anyways) and my other machine runns XP Pro.

Ive been on this newsgroup for a while asking about different aspects and am grateful for the help. Here the next question.

If I cant have a static IP and a dynamic IP on a single interface, how can I add another interface to the same NIC. Win 98 let me do it, and NT4 let me do it. Why wont XP.
Ive tried adding another interface with NetShell (netsh.exe) and it gives me the run around. If I try:
netsh interface>add interface name="Private LAN Connection" type=full
I get the response:
Private LAN Connection is not a valid entry in the phone book
The system could not open the phone book file.

What is this Phone book?
The interface types in use now are: Dedicated, Internal, and Loopback. Why cant I use one of those types?
Why does XP restrict me in this way?

G

Thanks for the help, I found the answer elsewhere. The solution is possable thru a registry hack. It allows for a static and a dynamic IP on ONE INTERFACE. Here it is...

Configure your adapter as usual with DHCP using the Network Control Panel applet

Open REGEDIT (Regedt32 in XP) and go to the following key

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

From the interfaces listed, find the one that has the IP address assigned by your DHCP

Inside this, there is an IP address key with a REG_MULTII_SZ type that has a value of 0.0.0.0

Double click this key and add the desired static address under the 0.0.0.0 that's already in there( Caution, Do not overwrite or delete the 0.0.0.0 value)

Do the same with the subnet mask.. (Do not also delete overwrite the 0.0.0.0 that's already in there.)

Disable and Enable your network card

Type IPCONFIG/all and you should see your 2 IP address, one dynamic, one static.

H

Haggis

well thank you Robert ...I like that :>

Robert said:
Im trying to find a way to have my 2 computers operate on 2 networks with
only one NIC in each box. I want them to run a private network with IP's
like "192.168.X.X" and then the Cable co's DHCP provided IP's. I dont want
to use a router because the Cable co says they will only support 'computers'
that are direct connect to their network. If I have a router they wont help
if I have any problems like spam or anything like that. And they wont
support the router. I can't use either of my computers as a firewall as
neither of them are 'always on'
I am trying to use one of my machines as a dev server, so its running
Linux (I know I know dont give me any grief.) Which set up in under a minute
(The network settings anyways) and my other machine runns XP Pro.
Ive been on this newsgroup for a while asking about different aspects and
am grateful for the help. Here the next question.
If I cant have a static IP and a dynamic IP on a single interface, how can
I add another interface to the same NIC. Win 98 let me do it, and NT4 let me
do it. Why wont XP.

Ask a Question