XP Pro install

frederick \(removethis\)

I have built my own computer with a 160gb HDD and CDRW
The BIOS recognises the HDD and the CDRW but when I try
to load XP Pro it says I don't have a hard drive.
Any help please?

Ken Blake

In frederick (removethis) @ukfsn.org
I have built my own computer with a 160gb HDD and CDRW
The BIOS recognises the HDD and the CDRW but when I try
to load XP Pro it says I don't have a hard drive.

How are you trying to load XP? You should be booting from the XP
CD.

Mike Powers

Did you set the bios to load from the CD first? Is it the first CD or
DVD drive found?

Harry Ohrn

No the hard drive does not have to be formatted or partitioned prior to
installing XP. If you boot with the XP CD it will see the drive and you will
be informed that you need to partition and format then setup will continue.

Harry Ohrn

When you boot off the CD you should see a message that says "press any key
to boot CD" This message is only displayed for 5 seconds. If you don't press
a key then booting passes to the next device. Because the new drive isn't
formatted you get an error message. However if you are booting off the CD
you will be able to partition and format after you accept the License
agreement.

Some BIOS have a Rapid Boot setting and a Display Logo setting. So if the
Logo is being displayed and the boot is fast you might actually be missing
the message to "press any key to boot CD." Make the necessary adjustments in
your BIOS to turn of the Logo Display and Disable Rapid Boot until after
Windows is installed.

frederick \(removethis\)

Many thanks for that, I'll give it a try. I have been
walking away from it as it was soooo slow!

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"frederick (removethis) @ukfsn.org"

Ken Blake

In
Harry Ohrn said:
No the hard drive does not have to be formatted or partitioned prior
to installing XP. If you boot with the XP CD it will see the drive
and you will be informed that you need to partition and format then
setup will continue.

And if I may add to that--if you do partition and format
beforehand, it doesn't *have to* be in NTFS. WIndows XP can see
and use NTFS, FAT32, FAT16, and FAT12 in any and all
combinations.

Harry,
A collegue suggested that the problem might be the size
of the HHD - XP dosen't like anything over 133Gb - so I
put in a 120Gb and it loaded straight away!
Fred
[...]

Walter Clayton

That's not XP's limit. That would be the hardware. Over 128G requires 48b
EIDE (or SATA).

--
Walter Clayton - MS MVP(WinXP)
Associate Expert