XP Pro install skips parts of setup during install

jhws

Model: Dell Latitude D505. Symptom: Clean install of Win
XP Pro SP1 UK (regardless of used media) always skips the
XP Mini-setup and automatically logs in. This also happens
regardless of the harddisk, as this has been tested w/ new
harddisk. Why is this, and how has it been configured
since it is not related to the harddisk? Note: when the
same OS media is used on another model or another brand
(HP, FSC et.c.) the XP Pro installation includes all
standard parts, like mini-setup etc. NB#2: Same symptom
has been seen in new Optiplex GX270 when installing XP
Pro. Really need to know why, because disk images will be
made and that will possibly affect hundreds of new
Latitude D505:s in the future. Thanks a lot!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

"An Error Has Been Encountered That Prevents Setup from Continuing" Error Message
When Sysprep Mini Wizard Runs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818171&Product=winxp

How to Prepare Images for Disk Duplication with Sysprep
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/duplication.mspx

Unsupported Sysprep scenarios
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828287&Product=winxp

Summary of the limitations of the System Preparation tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830958&Product=winxp

Customizing the Installations
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prbc_cai_rzfk.asp

How to Use Sysprep for Auditing Installations
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/auditing.asp

Deploying Windows XP
http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/Install/deploy.htm

--