XP Pro Hangs at Welcome Screen

eric

I support a client that has purchased several new HP
laptops. All of the laptops have XP pro installed. Today
for the second time one of the laptops would hang at the
welcome screen. The mouse and keyboard still respond but
the screen stays at the welcome screen, the login prompt
never gets displayed. This is the second laptop where
this has happened.

Any ideas?

I am getting real tired of re-building these things.

thanks, eric.

Malke

eric said:
I support a client that has purchased several new HP
laptops. All of the laptops have XP pro installed. Today
for the second time one of the laptops would hang at the
welcome screen. The mouse and keyboard still respond but
the screen stays at the welcome screen, the login prompt
never gets displayed. This is the second laptop where
this has happened.

Any ideas?

I am getting real tired of re-building these things.

thanks, eric.

Why would you bother rebuilding them if they're new? Have the client
return them to HP. There could be a hardware problem, heat issue, etc.
and waiting until the warranty is up isn't the way to go.

Good luck,

Malke

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Eric,

Since the laptop is new, we can use the recovery CD to recovery the laptop.
If the computer still hangs at the welcome screen, it must be the hardware
issue. Return to the HP to have it fixed.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.