XP Pro (Full) , X64 (Full) and Windows Server 2003 R2 TRIAL - which is latest ntldr ?

B

- Bobb -

I currently have a pc with X64 on it . ( Path = c:\Xp64)
I would like to install XP Pro as well as the Trial version of Server 2003. Can I leave the x64 install alone ?
I could use some help with this:
I copy/save the current Ntldr and Ntdetect.com and boot.ini file and store them in a safe place.
Then I add a second drive with 2 partitions - D and E.
I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
Order of installs Ok ?

If so - in 180 days the srvr license will expire. Since it was the last one to be installed, will it then mess up the process to
boot the others. Or just a matter of editing boot.ini on C to no longer include E:\Srvr2003 and I erase the partition ?

I tried lots of keywords: " install order x64 and XP Professional ntldr ", but I couldn't find a KB article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;895556
when you perform an installation of an operating system that includes later versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files, Setup
replaces those files on the hard disk. However, if the versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files of the operating system that is
being installed are earlier than the versions that currently are on the hard disk, the files on the hard disk are not overwritten by
the Setup program.
I would expect x64 or xp Pro to be more current ntldr info than server " 2003" - but can't confirm . True ?

Thanks
Bobb

R

Rock

- Bobb - said:
I currently have a pc with X64 on it . ( Path = c:\Xp64)
I would like to install XP Pro as well as the Trial version of Server 2003. Can I leave the x64 install alone ?

<snip>

You might want to post to the x64 newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

B

- Bobb -

Thanks,
I did so ( I forgot to cc originally, so sent seperately and didn't want to dup here)

Ask a Question