    the hard drive of the problem is with those two very small partitions located
    prior to C:.

    The drive is a standard WD 300GB.

    dd, Apr 12, 2009

  2. dd wrote:
    > I got a new Dell with Vista 64 installed and must downgrade to XP
    > because of legacy apps that won't work under Vista.
    >
    > Setup blue screens after the screen for selecting drive - which
    > shows 4 options but no recognizable drive letter.
    >
    > Under Dell's installation, there is a small FAT16 utility partition
    > marked primary, followed by a small NTFS partition for Recovery,
    > also marked primary. There there is C: with an extended partition
    > and 3 logical drives (C-E). (All NTFS).
    >
    > I'm not sure if the problem is that the XP setup simply doesn't
    > recognize the hard drive of the problem is with those two very
    > small partitions located prior to C:.
    >
    > The drive is a standard WD 300GB.

    Why didn't you order it with the Downgrade option?
    Does Dell support the system you bought with XP installed?

    If Dell does support that model with XP - your best bet will be to wipe all
    the partitions and create a new one for XP.

    Truly - what I would do is keep Vista and run a virtual machine (Windows XP
    installed on it) for whatever applications you think will not run under
    Vista directly (unless they have some hardware component preventing such
    things?)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Apr 12, 2009

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Why didn't you order it with the Downgrade option?
    > Does Dell support the system you bought with XP installed?
    >
    > If Dell does support that model with XP - your best bet will be to
    > wipe all the partitions and create a new one for XP.
    >
    > Truly - what I would do is keep Vista and run a virtual machine
    > (Windows XP installed on it) for whatever applications you think
    > will not run under Vista directly (unless they have some hardware
    > component preventing such things?)

    However - you might just need the drivers for the controller. (Although -
    being as it is doubtful you have a floppy diskette drive in this machine -
    you'll need to integrate them into the Windows XP CD or use a USB floppy
    drive.)

    Looking at one of your multi-posted items - I see it is a XPS 730x
    desktop...

    Likely this:
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=41&fileid=281168

    By the way - where'd you get the Windows XP installation CD/key you are
    using to install XP onto the new machine?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Apr 13, 2009
  4. dd

    sidem Guest

    Re: XP PRO Crashes on Setup - doesn't see hard drive (downgrade fr

    Hi dude, could you help me to install windows xp sp3? after load by cd it
    appear some error with the blue screen below:
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
    prevent damage to your computer.

    If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
    restart your computer. If this screen appears agin, follow
    these steps:

    Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed
    hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
    to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
    Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then
    restart your computer.

    Technical information:

    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

    **note: i have done the chkdsk /f and scan all virus already. I have test to
    change sata in bious RAID AUTO/AHCI to RAID AUTO/ATA but i can't find that
    text in bios screen. Hope you all can help me and explain step by step.
    Big thank:)

    sidem, Apr 13, 2009
  5. dd

    David B. Guest

    Re: XP PRO Crashes on Setup - doesn't see hard drive (downgrade fr

    Start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's. And search
    first, there are many discussions on SP3 issues.

    David B., Apr 13, 2009
  6. dd

    dd Guest

    Re: XP PRO Crashes on Setup - doesn't see hard drive (downgrade fr

    Dell didn't offer a downgrade option for this model of the XPS - although it
    was offered for a lower-end model, which would probably have made my life
    easier but the lower end model (same XPS, just cheaper) didn't have the hard
    drive I wanted.

    And I had bought a new, retail copy of XP before it was discontinued because
    I knew I would want it on my next computer. It didn't occur to me that i
    would have trouble downgrading an essentially identical computer (just w/
    more memory & a different hard drive & video card)

    The problem appears to be with the SATA drive. The BIOS identifies the
    drive as SATA and does not offer an IDE alternative. In another part of the
    BIOS, I can choose between ACHI and RAID, but since I don't have RAID, that
    doesn't seem to be a fix.

    (I always dual-boot Windows machines with a nice "stable" version on C: and
    the newer, less stable version on E:. I've found it endlessly helpful over
    the years. When one of them crashes, which always happens, I can get into
    the other one and continue working until I have time to fix whatever caused
    the other to crash.)

    dd

    dd, Apr 19, 2009