XP multiple scanners problem

Reaction score
Dear people,

To keep it short: laptop & XP home, installed HP Deskjet F380 All-in-One for regular use; all is fine. I also have a Mustec A3 scanner that I installed & used a while later. Then the HP doesn't work anymore: after uninstalling BOTH, I get the HP not installed. During the installation I get this message:
Error 1321: the installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file
C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\hpqgnds2 C:\Scan.msi failed with return code 1603 exit code=1603 Go to hp.com/support for info and help for 'fatal error' and 'MSI.Scan'

The folder 'twain_32' in the Windows directory contains the files 'hpqgnds2' and 'hpqgnds2.tmp' and 'wiatwain.ds'. I assume the files 'hpqgnds2' and 'hpqgnds2.tmp' have to be removed but they cannot as this folder is a systemmap that cannot be removed. The HP helpdesk could not help me either and they advised to re-install XP. Before doeing this, I hope to find another solution to this problem and re-installation is unnecessary.

Thanks in advance, Papillon.

Ask a Question