Xp locks up at logo screen after SP1 update

G

I have had WinXP running for a long time, but after the last automatic update the system lock up after rebooting at the logo screen. Rebooted in safe mode and system locks up at ....\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys. So Reluctantly I did a clean reinstall. Everything worked fine until I did an SP1 update. Now I am back to th esame problem

Any suggestions

R

roger

Hi Steve,

Check these articles:

324764 - Problems When Windows XP Tries to Load the Agp440.sys Service
When you install Windows XP, you may experience one or more of the
following symptoms: When you restart your computer, you may be
prompted to use the Last Known Good configuration. When you do so,
your computer may stop responding (hang) during the...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764

323130 - Computer with Multiple Processors and an AGP Video Adapter
Hangs During Startup
When you start your computer with multiple processors and an AGP video
adapter, your computer may stop responding (hang) during the initial
GUI portion of the startup process.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323130

Good luck

G

OK I tried disbling agp440, then it locked up at mup.sys, disabled that now it is locking up at NDIS.sys. So I gave up that routine. Decided to try another clean install. After reformatting the drive (NTFS) setup displays a window with unregmp2.exe-entry point not found " The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.dll". Set up continues to function after about an hour and completes.

Ant idea on what the error is?

I am going to try running the system w/o the SP1 update, which seems to be what triggers the windows lockup problem, until I update/install good drivers.

OOPPS... Maybe not, just got a "A problem has been detected and windows has shut down.....STOP:0x0000007B
What the heck is going on, everything was working fine before did the last windows update, now Ican't even get winxp to reinstall correctly.

Ask a Question