XP Installation problem

G

This is what happened: I wanted to return to my desktop PC's default XP settings because of some faulty program. I inserted the XP Service Pack 1 Disc into my CD-ROM drive and the computer recommended that I just choose the option 'Upgrade' because I already have an OS. I went through all the steps and the installation seemed to work just fine
It went through these stages
*Collecting Informatio
*Dynamic Updat
*Preparing Installatio
But when it came to this stage -> Installing Windows (where it says 'Setup will complete in approximately 39 minutes), it just stops at 35 minutes (the part where it says 'Installing Devices'). I waited for one good hour but still nothing happens

I'm currently using my laptop, because even when I try to restart, the computer always returns to the same stage of installation, and there's apparently no way I can get through to the actual desktop to undo the changes (or something like that)

Can anybody please help me? Thanks in advance.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| This is what happened: I wanted to return to my desktop PC's default XP settings because of some faulty
program. I inserted the XP Service Pack 1 Disc into my CD-ROM drive and the computer recommended that I just
choose the option 'Upgrade' because I already have an OS. I went through all the steps and the installation
seemed to work just fine.
| It went through these stages:
| *Collecting Information
| *Dynamic Update
| *Preparing Installation
| But when it came to this stage -> Installing Windows (where it says 'Setup will complete in approximately 39
minutes), it just stops at 35 minutes (the part where it says 'Installing Devices'). I waited for one good
hour but still nothing happens.
|
| I'm currently using my laptop, because even when I try to restart, the computer always returns to the same
stage of installation, and there's apparently no way I can get through to the actual desktop to undo the
changes (or something like that).
|
| Can anybody please help me? Thanks in advance.

G

Ran across this through a search this morning using support.microsoft.com, KB (knowledge base), searching on XP upgrade. Can't recall the exact document, but the answer (and question) is there. Hope that helps.

G

I did what you said but it just returns to do the same thing all over again. Is there any other way

----- Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote: ----

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Instal
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.ht

--
Carey Frisc
Microsoft MV
Windows XP - Shell/Use

Be Smart! Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| This is what happened: I wanted to return to my desktop PC's default XP settings because of some faulty
program. I inserted the XP Service Pack 1 Disc into my CD-ROM drive and the computer recommended that I just
choose the option 'Upgrade' because I already have an OS. I went through all the steps and the installation
seemed to work just fine
| It went through these stages
| *Collecting Informatio
| *Dynamic Updat
| *Preparing Installatio
| But when it came to this stage -> Installing Windows (where it says 'Setup will complete in approximately 39
minutes), it just stops at 35 minutes (the part where it says 'Installing Devices'). I waited for one good
hour but still nothing happens

| I'm currently using my laptop, because even when I try to restart, the computer always returns to the same
stage of installation, and there's apparently no way I can get through to the actual desktop to undo the
changes (or something like that)

| Can anybody please help me? Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question