XP Home won't boot due to missing system file

G

I need help re-installing a system file. I'm not sure how it got deleted, but the C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing. When I boot up I get a "file is missing or corrupt. Please insert setup disk and press R". However, any key press reboots the system to the same mesage. I cannot get the machine to recognize the XP CD to get to the recovery console to restore the file. I have been able to boot from a Win98 floppy to a command prompt, but there are no XP files listed for me to recover

Thanks in advance

W

Will Denny

Hi

See if the following helps:

"How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from Starting"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| I need help re-installing a system file. I'm not sure how it got deleted, but the C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing. When I boot up I get a "file is missing or corrupt. Please insert setup disk and press R". However, any key press reboots the system to the same mesage. I cannot get the machine to recognize the XP CD to get to the recovery console to restore the file. I have been able to boot from a Win98 floppy to a command prompt, but there are no XP files listed for me to recover.
|
| Thanks in advance.
|

G

Will, I can't get to the recovery console to try this repair. Any suggestion on how to access the recovery console so this will work?

R

roger

Hi B L,

I need help re-installing a system file. I'm not sure how it got deleted, but the C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing. When I boot up I get a "file is missing or corrupt. Please insert setup disk and press R". However, any key press reboots the system to the same mesage. I cannot get the machine to recognize the XP CD to get to the recovery console to restore the file. I have been able to boot from a Win98 floppy to a command prompt, but there are no XP files listed for me to recover.

From the C: prompt after you have booted with the Win98 flopppy try
these commands:
cd \windows\system32\config
ren system system.bad
copy \windows\repair\system

Good luck, hope this helps

Ask a Question