Windows XP XP Error

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Windows XP SP2 system that uses TSM to backup data automatically into tape drives. It works fine when a manual backup is being done, but when the automatic procedure kicks off ( and especially the user's system is locked or logged off) there seems to be this error poping up repeatedly.

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file /$Directory .The data has been lost. This error may be caused by the failure of your computer hardware or n/w connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere."

This prompt occurs for other directories also besides /$Directory including /$Mft. What makes it even worse is that it does not even let me log into the system after this and throws the below errors when I try to log in:

"Windows cannot load the user's profile. This may be due to insufficient security rights. If this problem persists contact your n/w admin." followd by

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile of the system. DETAIL:Insufficient system resources exist to complete the required service"

This brings me back to the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen and I have to restart the system to let me log in.

I am new to TSM and back up procedures and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile of the system. DETAIL:Insufficient system resources exist to complete the required service

This would suggest the failure, in my opinion. I can understand that the program does not run while the user is not logged in. To get around that, you probably would have to have this as a service and use acceptable credentials to run the application while at the log in screen. Scheduled tasks are typically run under a user while logged into the machine, even if at a locked screen. My desktop continues to scan for virus attacks in this state.

The error referenced above could be caused by a couple reasons. Either you don't have enough memory, etc in the machine to accomplish your task or you have too many things running on the machine at boot. Again, this is only true if a user logs in, as most services that are installed by software require a logged in user to update or function. Googleupdater, for example, does not update the system just because it is on. A user has to log in and then the service is applied based on manual/automatic settings.

Is this back up task the only function for the system? If so, I would recommend killing any, and every, task that is completely unnecessary to its function. Remove even the graphics stuff that XP puts in the default installation (System properties>advanced tab>performance>settings>adjust for best performance). You will notice that the system now looks like Win 2k or Server with the grey bars and lack of pretty colors. This takes away many of the features that XP touted as revolutionary and neat, such as bubbly start buttons and bars, shading of text and folders, holding the entire contents to move a window. All of these things take available memory away from your task. If you only use backup, you don't need to care about looking pretty.

That is where I would start.

Also, how much data are you trying to backup at one time? I am not certain of the actual function of the software but a comparison could be copy and paste large items or folders. I have seen issues with trying to ctrl+c 500GB of music in the same form, not enough resources to perform the request.

Reaction score
About the size of the data i am trying to transfer, it's not so much of data type rather than save on microsoft office excel/word.

If you or anyone else can help me, my main concern is about the first error that comes up.
"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file /$Directory .The data has been lost. This error may be caused by the failure of your computer hardware or n/w connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere."

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I have a few thoughts on that.

The first question is: Where is this /$directory located? Local, server? Perhaps the issue lies with the actual connection to the network resource.

Second: Does your user have sufficient rights?
If the folder in question is in the Program Files folder, a restricted user may have issues with read/write to this folder. For example, a restricted user cannot install software if the permissions are set that way. What really happens is the deny permission of write to Program Files, among other things. I would check to see if the user you are logging in as is a member of the local adminstrators on the machine. You can check this in Computer Management under Users and Groups.

Along the same lines as question 2, is this machine a member of a domain? You may have the same type of restrictions with a domain user. You can get around this by forcing the service to use an administration user that is authenticated on the network by the Domain Controller.

The fourth thought is: are there, in fact, enough resources? The first error could be caused by an insufficient resource availability. At which point, follow the previous instruction to clear your software startup and turn off unnecessary services. Also, verify that you have the system set up for optimal performance. You may need to add RAM to the machine to get it to function properly.

I highly doubt that it is file size that is the issue. It seems to be more of a permissions/resource issue based on the errors. I would check that out first.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see your point and I think I will agree with you about the permissions/resource issue.
Thanks a lot! I will check it and let you know!
Thanks again!

Ask a Question