XP Device manager items w/ yellow exclamation marks

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Guest, Dec 10, 2005.

    I was looking thru Device Manager and clicked View>show hidden devices &
    noticed two items with the yellow questions marks beside them- the first was:
    under "Printers" was my printer, then below it "Parallel Device" had the
    question mark. When clicking it for more info it said "The drivers for this
    device aren't installed. To reinstall click Reinstall Driver. Code 28" The
    device type said "printer". FYI my printer is an older HP 722C & I believe I
    installed it using WinXPs own printer driver. I haven't had any issues with
    this or the other device I found in conflict in Device Manager but was just
    curious if I needed to do anything with either one- or if not broke don't
    fix!

    The second device with a yellow exclamation mark was under Non Plug & Play
    Drivers> PartMgr. It said: "Device not present, not working properly or
    doesn't have all its drivers ,Code 24. Display name: Partition Manager,
    Current status: started, Startup>type: Boot. Driver files:
    c:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys, file version: 5.1.2600.0

    The PartMgr had a troubleshoot option but I haven't tried it yet and the
    Parallel Device had a reinstall driver option but that came back empty after
    trying it. Thanks for any help with this! RK

    Guest, Dec 10, 2005

  2. Robert

    The HP link leading to the driver follows:
    http://snipurl.com/knsv

    Your other Code 24 message is more difficult -see link for more information
    about Device Manager error codes:
    http://snipurl.com/7key

    I would sort the printer driver and see if the Code 24 goes away.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England

    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry Cornell, Dec 10, 2005

    Gerry, thanks for the reply. I followed your first link (HP) and everything
    seems to be installed correctly- the HP722C printer icon appears in Printers
    & Faxes and it's checked as the default printer. I don't understand what the
    Parallel Device showing up below the HP 722C icon in Device Manager is all
    about, other than I know the printer uses the parallel port. I wonder if I
    should try uninstalling & reinstalling the printer to see what happens? As
    I've mentioned I've had no issues with the printer & just came across these
    exclamation marks on a whim.

    When you said I should sort the printer driver to see if the Code 24 goes
    away- did you mean working on the above HP722C issue first, or use the
    troubleshooter in PartMgr? If so can I try uninstalling the PartMgr device
    and installing it again? Thanks, Robert

    Guest, Dec 10, 2005
  4. Robert

    Have the yellow question marks gone?

    If not what are the error codes now?

    If there are no Device Error codes against the printer I would leave the
    printer as it is.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England

    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry Cornell, Dec 11, 2005

    Gerry, no the yellow marks are still next to the Parallel Device
    (branched-out below the printer) and the PartMgr. Same error codes as before.
    -Robert

    Guest, Dec 11, 2005

    Further update for the Parallel Device conflict:
    I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it, also updated the driver. No
    change. (the driver was the most recent before the uninstall too) Same as
    before. I started in Safe Mode to see if the conflicts went away but they did
    not.

    I tried uninstalling the PartMgr (the other device conflict) in Device
    Manager but all that did was cause my system to crash during reboot- so I
    chose the "last configuration that worked before error" option and the system
    started up fine and works fine. Later I read that removing non-plug & play
    devices can cause system problems- I shouldn't have been messing around with
    something I wasn't sure of. (<: So back to square one investigating these
    curious conflicts...

    Guest, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Robert

    So what conflicts are there if the system started up fine and works fine?

    --

    Regards.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England

    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry Cornell, Dec 14, 2005

    I guess none worth pursuing further! (<:

    Guest, Dec 14, 2005

    Update: the program "Bootskin" I have recently installed (that changes the
    standard XP boot-up screen to any of several available on the web) causes the
    conflict in PartMgr. When the program is uninstalled the conflict goes away.
    But since there are no signs of anything negative happening other than this
    I'm fine with leaving it installed for now. I've heard that many folks have
    had issues with this freeware program (but not with my PartMgr thing) causing
    start-up problems (seems to be whether or not you have the right BIOS
    installed) and on its download site it mentions if you have a problem to try
    two alternate versions & gives uninstalling instructions too. While I've
    experienced no problems outwardly I'd suggest reading the user comments about
    the freeware on Download.com before trying it- many unhappy users! But I seem
    to be one of the lucky few with no problems.

    Guest, Dec 19, 2005

    VanguardLH Guest

    x-praktor wrote 6.5 years later:

    > RobertK wrote on 12/10/2005 00:57 ET :
    >
    >> I was looking thru Device Manager ...

    > Thanx RobertK for your great idea about BootSkin. You rock! This problem has
    > been puzzling me for a couple of days now, but you did the trick. I thought I
    > had checked almost everything, even in the registry, but when I uninstalled
    > BootSkin ver. 1.0.6 and re-installed ver.1.0.3, bam the odd exclamation
    > disappeared and PartMgr is functioning correctly again + no more BSOD's! Thanx
    > again + keep up the good work!

    After 6-1/2 years, I doubt Robert is still monitoring this thread.

    VanguardLH, Apr 30, 2012