XP copies files when I don't want it to.

The way I use to highlight multiple files is to hold down the control key and
then click on the individual files. Then I can move them to the folder I
want.

The problem arises when I hold down the control key and click on many
files. XP then automatically copies them to the same directory that I'm
trying to move them out of. Then I have to delete the unwanted copies and
hope that I get through it before XP starts copying again.

How can I turn this "feature" off?

Cheers!

Paul

A "feature" is a bug that you can't fix.

David Sewell

The Stump said:
The way I use to highlight multiple files is to hold down the control key and
then click on the individual files. Then I can move them to the folder I
want.

The problem arises when I hold down the control key and click on many
files. XP then automatically copies them to the same directory that I'm
trying to move them out of. Then I have to delete the unwanted copies and
hope that I get through it before XP starts copying again.

How can I turn this "feature" off?

Cheers!

Paul

A "feature" is a bug that you can't fix.

Sounds like a similar problem I had a while back in win 98. It was to do
with the setup of the mouse. Being careful when selecting, to not drag the
mouse at the same time... sort of thing.!

David

David Sewell

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Have a drink to combat DTs in the morning. You can't move more than 4
pixels.

Wow!
David, sounds like you've discovered a replacement for handcuffs...few
drinks and 4 pixels movement is your lot! Sounds like me on a saturday
night!

David

Alex Nichol

The said:
The way I use to highlight multiple files is to hold down the control key and
then click on the individual files. Then I can move them to the folder I
want.

The problem arises when I hold down the control key and click on many
files. XP then automatically copies them to the same directory that I'm
trying to move them out of.

This is because it is set too sensitive to small movements of the mouse,
so it sees a shudder of the wrist as being a drag operation. Use
TweakUI - one of the XP Powertoys from

Once installed you will find it in Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
Windows XP

Its Mouse page put the drag panel up to maybe 25. A real drag
operation is going to go further than that