Windows XP XP CD Witing

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

Got a slight problem that Xp no longer recgonises my CD-RW drive as a CD-RW drive and there fore won't burn, "no cd in drive", it works perfectly well with Nero 6, and it used to works with XP as well, it started off not recognising the CD-R once it got into the wizard then deteriated over the last couple of days, i'm not too bothered about this but i am interested in finding out whats going on i'm sure it's something simple!

What i've tried...

(1) removing and reinstalling IDE BUS master

(2) enabling/disabling IMAPI sevice

(3) tried to find firmware update for drive, but LG seem to have forgot about this one.

(4) praying

non of the above worked, but if i remember correctly XP was recognising my CD-RW as a CD-RW before i reinstalled the drive.

SYStem Spec:

XP Pro

PIII 866Mhz CPU

Intel 810e Chipset

512 MB SD DIMM PC 133 RAM (2 x 256)

IDE setup:

PRI MAS - 20GB HDD

PRI SLA - 120GB HDD

SEC MAS - Lite-on CD-ROM

SEC SLA - LG GCC-4320B CD-RW/DVD-ROM

The 120GB hdd was recently added and the problem could have arison since then.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

James

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I hope your drive starts functioning since Mucks has guided you to the right place for a solution.

I noticed that your writer is set up as slave rather than master, try to swap the drives as well so that the writer is a master and the cd rom is a slave.

Reaction score
no joy mucks, any other idea's?

quad i would rather not try that for two reasons first it's worked before with the current config and second it should make any difference master or slave.

J

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Actually Tech' I would do the same ... put the CDRW as the master but leave off the CDROM for now ... see how it works.

You only have to pull some 'plugs' and alter the jumpers. ;)

it works perfectly well with Nero 6
Then me would not bother with XPs own software ... :cool:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Have you updated your BIOS lately? If not I would suggest you do that. Your board is about 3 years old and updating the bios always helps when you upgrade. I am mainly referring to your newly acquired 120 GB Hard Drive which your bios may not be reading correctly.

Today I was helping a friend on phone trying to fix his unstable system and my first question to him was about BIOS for the motherboard. His motherboard was same as yours which happens to be 810e (Dell Optilex GX110). His response was negative and he also later found out that the bios date was for the year 2000. The latest bios he was able to get from the Dell support site was Fall 2003 and after updating the system all seem to be working fine. He was basically installing a new DVD Writer.

As for burning with Windows XP, Muckshifter rightly suggested that its not worth it, especially when you already are using Nero.

:D

Reaction score
Quad,

got latest BIOS, and yeah i'm happy with nero, but i've had customers with the same issue, and was just looking for a fix, i'm going to look further into this because i hate not knowing, if (when) i find a fix i'll post it.

Cheers

Ask a Question