Xmarks to be shut down on January 10th

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As I write this, it’s a typical Sunday here at Xmarks. The synchronization service continues operating quietly, the servers chugging along syncing browser data for our 2 million users across their 5 million desktops. The day isn’t over yet, but we’re on track to add just under 3000 new accounts today. Tomorrow, however, will hardly be anything but typical, for tomorrow one of our engineers will start a script that will email each of our users to notify them that we’ll be ceasing operations in around 90 days.

This post attempts to summarize the Xmarks story: how we got to be the most heavily used browser synchronization service in the world and yet still find ourselves pulling the plug.

http://blog.xmarks.com/?p=1886

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
An invaluable tool for me, have to put my thinking cap on for alternative way to deal with the issue.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a feeling that it will still be around in 91 days time - perhaps closing it down (and allowing a 3 month reprieve) will spur some investors to put money on the table (or to make it go subscription based). Fingers crossed anyway!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Anyone using Firefox Sync here? Looks like a viable alternative for those who use Firefox on all computers and platforms.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I use Firefox sync and works brilliant, never had a problem with it and it syncs to my ipod safari browser to so always have my favs where ever I go, very handy!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Here is an update I received today when the update of Xmarks was executed.

[Updated: since our announcement several companies have expressed interest in acquiring the Xmarks service. More details in James' blog post. If you would pay $10 per year to continue to use Xmarks, please pledge your support.]

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Xmarks has been a very useful and reliable tool for me. However I do not think I will be paying for the service as I only use it to keep my bookmarks up to date.

I recon I will use FEBE and backup to Box.net or Dropbox or ProJect X and this will enable me to keep my bookmarks and FF up to date on all my pc's. A bit fiddly but a workable solution.

:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Xmarks has been a very useful and reliable tool for me. However I do not think I will be paying for the service as I only use it to keep my bookmarks up to date.

I recon I will use FEBE and backup to Box.net or Dropbox or ProJect X and this will enable me to keep my bookmarks and FF up to date on all my pc's. A bit fiddly but a workable solution.

:)

Abarbarian,

I would be very interested in your feedback on the different options you mention about backup options for the bookmarks.

For the time being I have started using Firefox Sync and so far so good.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Abarbarian,

I would be very interested in your feedback on the different options you mention about backup options for the bookmarks.

For the time being I have started using Firefox Sync and so far so good.

Will post if I have occasion to use the options.

FEBE will auto save at the start up or shutdown or at a specific time and you can choose where to save to. Drop Box and Box.net are both on-line freebie storage sites. Project X will get an explanation elswhere in the forums.
FEBE is not much slower than XMarks to run, I don't mind how long it takes for my pc to shut down as once I have clicked the button I am away and the pc looks after itself, one of the joys of running GNU/Linux.:D

Ask a Question