XL97 vs XL? Recalc-time

Hi All...........
I have a file that takes about 90 seconds to recalc............using XL97.
Can anyone tell me please if it would be any faster by ONLY upgrading to a
newer version of Excel?

Tks,
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Jim Cone

Hi Chuck,

If the file is not confidential and less than 10Mb then I would be glad
to run it in both xl97 and xl2002 and compare the calculations times.
It's your call.
Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"CLR" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Hi All...........
I have a file that takes about 90 seconds to recalc............using XL97.
Can anyone tell me please if it would be any faster by ONLY upgrading to a
newer version of Excel?
Tks,
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Bill Martin

Thanks for the offer Jim......the file is on it's way.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

------------------------------

Jim,

When you run this for Chuck, please post the results back here again. There are
some of us lurkers out here also interested in what you measure.

Thanks...

Bill

Jim Cone

Bill,
Will do, but I haven't got the file yet.
Jim Cone

------------------------------

Jim,

When you run this for Chuck, please post the results back here again. There are
some of us lurkers out here also interested in what you measure.

Thanks...

Bill

Jim Cone

Hello,

For what it is worth...
I received the .xls file, opened and ran it in three xl versions.
The file was opened four to six times in each version.
File size 6mb with 40 to 50 sheets.
Done on Windows XP SP1, Pent 4 - 2.0 GHz, 512 memory.
'-------------------------------
File open time required...
xl97 1 second
xl2000 31 seconds (calculates on open)
xl2002 75 seconds (calculates on open)

File update time required...
xl 97 40 seconds
xl2000 19 seconds
xl2002 19 seconds

(Actual times varied by + - 0.5 seconds)
'--------------------------------
Jim Cone

Jim said:
Hello,

For what it is worth...
I received the .xls file, opened and ran it in three xl versions.
The file was opened four to six times in each version.
File size 6mb with 40 to 50 sheets.
Done on Windows XP SP1, Pent 4 - 2.0 GHz, 512 memory.
'-------------------------------
File open time required...
xl97 1 second
xl2000 31 seconds (calculates on open)
xl2002 75 seconds (calculates on open)

File update time required...
xl 97 40 seconds
xl2000 19 seconds
xl2002 19 seconds

(Actual times varied by + - 0.5 seconds)
'--------------------------------
Jim Cone

Thanks for the into Jim. Now for bonus points...

Reading between the lines, it sounds like one can happily install both XL97 and
a more current version under XP and they coexist -- the newer one doesn't update
(over write) the old one. Did you have to do something clever to do this or is
that how Excel installs itself normally?

Thanks...

Bill

CLR

Many many thanks Jim......this is most interesting......I'll try to get some
more data tomorrow on a couple of slower machines.....

Thanks again,
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Jim Cone

Bill,
More than you wanted to know...

Jim Cone December 2002
Modified June 11, 2003
Note - These recommendations were written before XL2003 was released.

When installing / using multiple versions of MS suites or applications:
1. Install the oldest version first
2. Install in a separate folder.
3. If you want to keep your start menu shortcuts then rename them
before installing a newer version.
4. Do a custom install and do not overwrite/replace the older
versions. However...
5. Only one version of Outlook can be installed on a single
operating system.
6. You specify the default version of the application by
registering it using 'Start | Run'.
Enter the full file path and name of the program.
Note that /regserver is outside the quote marks...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /regserver

The above registers Excel 97 as the default on most systems.
Change the file path / file name as appropriate.
If you don't register the application then the last version
installed becomes the default.
7. Do Not run multiple application versions at the same time.
Close one before opening the other.
8. MS knowledge base articles follow in no particular order:
292491 -
Office Automation When Multiple Versions of Office Are Installed
290576 -
OffXP: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office
218861 -
Off2000: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office
214388 -
XL2000: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Excel
292584 -
OffXP: Setup Overwrites Start Menu Items from Earlier Versions of office
210391 -
Off2000: Setup May Remove Older Components

(Just in case)
233499 -
How To Change the Company Name and User Name After Setup
290528 -
HowTo: Change the Company Name and User Name in an Office XP Program
280546:
User Name And Company Name In Splash Screen Different From Names In "About" Dialog Box

"Bill Martin" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Thanks for the into Jim. Now for bonus points...
Reading between the lines, it sounds like one can happily install both XL97 and
a more current version under XP and they coexist -- the newer one doesn't update
(over write) the old one. Did you have to do something clever to do this or is
that how Excel installs itself normally?
Thanks...
Bill

INdeed Bill...........more than one version of XL can exist on the same
machine. A while back I had 5.0, 97 and 2k all on one WinMe machine, and
some fine individual from the Programming group gave me this nifty piece of
code so I could keep track of which one I was using at the time.........

Sub Auto_open()
With Application
Select Case Val(.Version)
Case 10: .Caption = .Name & " 2002"
Case 9: .Caption = .Name & " 2000"
Case 8: .Caption = .Name & " 97"
Case 7: .Caption = .Name & " 95"
End Select
End With
End Sub

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Bill Martin

wrote in message
Thanks for the into Jim. Now for bonus points...
Reading between the lines, it sounds like one can happily install both XL97 and
a more current version under XP and they coexist -- the newer one doesn't update
(over write) the old one. Did you have to do something clever to do this or is
that how Excel installs itself normally?
Thanks...
Bill

Thanks Jim. I may finally break down and update my Excel.

Bill