    "C:\>xcopy D:\*.* C:\BACKUP /e/c/h/r/y"

    --
    Joel L.

    Guest, Jan 30, 2005

    What are you trying to do,if cloneing the hd is what youre after youre cmd is
    wrong.Try: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r
    One can also,with a program running,pause the program,open task mgr,R.click
    on the a process,then select priority,set 1X higher.

    Guest, Jan 30, 2005

    Alex Nichol Guest

    Joel L. wrote:

    >I am a having an issue with Xcopy that hopefully someone can help with. I use
    >Xcopy all the time but whenever it gets to the Temporary Internet Files it
    >sometimes works ok but other times it will stop with "Insufficient Memory".
    >Sometimes it gives the same error with other files but mostly in the Internet
    >Temporary Files folder.

    XCOPY is a DOS program that runs in the DOS emulation; limited at the
    very most to 612 K bytes of 'conventional memory. For best DOS
    conventional memory, edit the windows\system32\config.nt and autoexec.nt
    files.

    In config.nt have (apart from the large number of REM lines) just
    EMM = B=4000 RAM
    (note the exact spaces - either side of the first = and before RAM,
    none next to the second =) and

    dos=high, umb
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    files=40
    (or higher files= if needed)

    and in autoexec.nt have

    REM Install DPMI support
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

    with other earlier lh lines REM ed out, and then any SET or PATH lines
    that may already be present at the end.

    This should give about 612K for a program, run from a shortcut made to
    its .exe file. or for your XCOPY

    Bournemouth, U.K. 8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

    Alex Nichol, Jan 30, 2005

    Thank you for your reply's and will try these settings when I get to work.
    The reason why I use Xcopy all the time is because sometimes a customer wants
    a data backup from their old system to their new system so they can import
    emails, favorites, documents, etc. I usually just transfer the whole hard
    drive to a backup folder on the root and then make a shortcut on the desktop
    for the "all users" account before running sysprep. Copying the whole drive
    is easier than going through bits and pieces of data and because there may be
    things that the customer may not think about at the time of transfer. Before
    you ask....Yes, I do a complete virus scan before transfer. I am looking into
    Robocopy but not sure which switches would be best for this kind of
    situation. Plus, it would be nice to change all the attributes so that
    everything can be deleted after they are confident with retrieving everything
    they need.

    Guest, Jan 30, 2005

    I did some more searching and maybe it's because of the fact that Xcopy has a
    256 character limit. Some of those temporary internet files have huge names.
    Well, I guess it's going to have to be Robocopy from now on. Thanks for the
    help though.

    Guest, Feb 2, 2005

    juhehe Guest

    Joel L. Wrote:
    > I did some more searching and maybe it's because of the fact that Xcopy
    > has a
    > 256 character limit. Some of those temporary internet files have huge
    > names.
    > Well, I guess it's going to have to be Robocopy from now on. Thanks for
    > the
    > help though.

    I just recently encountered the same problem.

    I managed to get away with it (completely in my special case)
    with using subst to shorten the path just by little lit, see example if
    you need one:
    http://users.utu.fi/juhehe/jutut/xcopy.txt

    E.g. 171 chars source files copied just fine (you rarely have longer
    than 250 chars in full filenames...)

    --
    juhehe

    juhehe, May 11, 2005